PLEASE HELP: weird digital commander problems with a dc or dcc locomotive

Started by hi2468, November 11, 2018, 06:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hi2468

I am very new to this hobby so please help me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a few questions
1st question:  I just got a new bachmann digial commander train set and I want to know 2 if the locomotives included with the train set have sound.
2nd question: does anybody know if the walthers HO Scale EMD SD60 (Standard DC) Norfolk Southern/NS #6678 (Black/White) locomotive has sounds with it because the description sais that it does.
3rd question:(complies with the subject)When I place the norfolk southern locomotive on the track it just sits there and makes a loud and weary diesul engine sound,I also have no control over it by the digital commander controller and all of the lights on the locommotive are on
4th question:does anybody know if the bachmann chatanooga choo choo train set is dcc and has sound?

Terry Toenges

I can answer your first question -
The Digital Commander is not sound equipped. If it was, it would say so on the box. Their two sound equipped sets, Thunder Chief and Echo Valley Express, say "Digital Sound Set" on the front of the box.
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

Does the dc locomotive sit there and emit a high pitched squeal? If so, that is normal for a dc locomotive on dcc track. It is NOT recommended that you leave this locomotive on dcc track as it may damage the motor. If you want to run this locomotive on dcc, you will need to install a decoder.

The Chattanooga is not dcc. I have one I did convert to dcc, by adding a z scale decoder. I had to remove the smoke unit as it was the only place a decoder would fit.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA