News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z Track Piers

Started by jerry w in FL, November 14, 2018, 03:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry w in FL

Is it possible to gradually raise the HO E-ZTrack up to 10" & my Wonderland Express On30 still be able to chug up & down the slopes?  I'm trying to raise it above Christmas village buildings so i dont have to move them from current layout.  Dont want to hide train either by raising buildings above track.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Jerry W - Largo, FL
"Real Train Newby ;-)"

Len

It depends on how big your layout is. If you need to go up 10" it might make more sense to elevate the entire track.

It would help if you could post a picture of the layout so we have some idea what you're dealing with. You need to upload any pics to a hosting site like Photbucket or Flikr, then link from there using 'img' tags. You can't upload pics directly to this site.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

I had to weight my On30 2-6-0 down to be able to pull 3 passenger cars up 4% grade. 4" rise in 100" gives me 4% grade. You want to go 10" so you would need 250"(20.83 feet)  to achieve a 4% grade. That's just one side going up. You could probably get by with a little steeper grade if you are only pulling a couple freight cars.
Feel like a Mogul.

jerry w in FL

Thanks for the replies.
Len, i tried using PhotoBucket to upload the current pix but it wouldnt give me the link to paste here as a free member (only Facebook, etc). Never used these services before, just YouTube & they dont do pix.
Terry, with the transition you described i'd have the track running thru the front & back of my duplex vs just the living room wall!!

The only portion of the original center layout i need to change is toward the very back & i was hoping not to have to move the current buildings there to a new section (which is plan A).  Plan B would be to elevate the buildings in that old section over the track like i did in the latest 3' wide expansion to the left - sorta a subway type setup but didnt really want to block so much of the view of the train in the main 7' section.

When the next expansion is done (another 4-5' to the right), i'll be able to lay out the buildings where flat track is no issue.   & i was hoping to be able to use it for future growth vs relocating some current buildings. 
It's just that original main section that's causing me to pull out what little hair i have left but appears i dont have a plausible plan C (elevate track just in one section).

If anybody has a barnstorm idea please chime in...
Thanks again for your input.
Jerry W - Largo, FL

Terry Toenges

If you decide to run front to back of your duplex, you'll need some extra feeder wires.  ;D
I just wish we could see pics but I understand your dilemma.
Feel like a Mogul.

jerry w in FL

Thanks for the reply Terry.  & i see you are a fellow member of the Chrome Dome Club, so, as fun as they are, these trains dont help in slowing that transition :'(  Maybe they should rename those sky dome cars after us!!
i'm gonna try an experiment tomorrow on raising that back row of buildings (i'd have room to reach under & fix any wrecks or hangups).  Just have to make sure the transition looks normal.  On new portion, i created a tunnel going toward the back on elevated section that made it look like you could walk/drive/ride from one level to another - a black hole of sorts...
Since i didnt have any luck with PhotoBucket, i may try Flickr tomorrow so you guys can get a better idea of what i'm attempting.
Thanks again,
Jerry W - Largo