News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Generation 2 Big Hauler Question

Started by DragonFyreGT, November 18, 2018, 05:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonFyreGT

So before I get into the issue, yes i have been searching and found a lot of information just not on my specific problem. I am well aware of the generation 2 issues with the gearboxes. However my gear box is not "broken" nor are the gears stripped. My issue comes from the motor running and the gears not engaging. Now I did open up and find ou the issue. My back driver wheels keep fall off the axles ever so slightly even on the rails and the gears can no longer engage each other. Does anyone have a proper fix for this issue or has dealt with this specific issue or should I just try to swap onto a Generation 5 chassis?

Manythanksin advance.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi,

My recommendation is to go for a new Gen 5 chassis, the price is right!   If you keep trying to fix an obsolete motor and gearbox it will become very frustrating when it keeps breaking down.

Check out the link on 4-6-0 Repairs:

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,18832.0.html

You will see my detailed recommendations and advice.   if you really love your locomotive and plan to keep it for a long time then chassis replacement is the only way to go.   If you absolutely crazy about your locomotive then consider using an Anniversary Chassis with the metal siderods. you will not regret it. 

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

DragonFyreGT

I think you may be right about the chassis swap, I've tried but I think mine is shot. ANd yes I do love my Gen 2. It was the second trainset I ever got as a kid and she's joining my garden railroad roster as my #2 hauler so a lot of shell modification work is underway, just needed to figure out the mechanical issues. And that thread is really detailed, bookmarking that for future reference, Thanks so much for your help and Input~!

Loco Bill Canelos

You are most welcome. Always glad to be of help! 

Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!