News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2 8 0 driver

Started by Crayfish, November 18, 2018, 03:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crayfish

G'day all, I have a HO spectrum consolidation 2 8 0 with a broken crank pin.
Replacement wheel sets are no longer available and I am wondering is there another loco with the same size wheel sets.
I have contacted the service department but they have not replied.
Thanks for your assistance.
Bushcreature, Australia.

Trainman203

Welcome to modern model railroading.  For every type engine you have, you need a carcass to strip parts from.  Fortunately they can be had at on line auctions for not much.

RAM

Can you remove the crank pin?  then just replace the crank pin.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: Crayfish on November 18, 2018, 03:04:35 AM
G'day all, I have a HO spectrum consolidation 2 8 0 with a broken crank pin.
Replacement wheel sets are no longer available and I am wondering is there another loco with the same size wheel sets.
I have contacted the service department but they have not replied.
Thanks for your assistance.
Bushcreature, Australia.
[/quote/]

Best bet would be to look online like trainman said. Ideally I would look for one that is being sold listed as "for repair or parts" and use that as a parts engine, like when a person buys 2 of the same classic car at the same time that are both in need of work and they take the good parts from the worse of the two cars and put those parts in the car that's in better shape to get it running again.

Crayfish

Trainman203

This is where you develop your model railroad skills.  I have to say that I've never worked on my consolidations' valve gear, but I have on many die cast engine kits in the days of yore.

I presume you mean the eccentric crank on the main driver.  You have to get a little socket wrench to take it off.  It may be metric, this may be a quest.  It may sound simple to say this, but whenever you remove any parts while working on engines, IMMEDIATELY secure them in a closed container like a little prescription bottle or something.  You may not think you need to but you'll change your mind when a little part goes into purgatory never to be seen again.

It's also a good idea to make your work area inside a box lid with raised edges to keep irreplaceable parts from rolling away into eternity, as they surely will.

You'll need to separate the rest of the valve  gear from the broken eccentric crank.  I believe it is a tiny rivet.  I'll let someone else say exactly how to do it but you get it done, very carefully to not further the damage.

You then have to secure the new eccentric to the existing valve gear with a method to match previously existing.  This will require a search for parts and tools, another quest.

Then... you get out the parts you saved in the little bottle and secure the new eccentric back to the running gear.

OR ..... you buy a new engine that works, and keep the flawed one as your parts reservoir.  Much easier, you get an engine certain to work, and get a week of evenings to operate your layout instead of raising your blood pressure.

All of this reminds me of the joke about the guy with two pet chickens.  One got sick, so he killed the well one to make chicken soup to feed the sick one. 😱😂

rich1998

There are some on ebay right now for a few dollars. I looked but shipping is as much as the loco if you get it for the asking price.
Like the Bach-Man says, have fun.

Rich

Terry Toenges

I bought a little dish that is magnetized that works great for me. I kept screws in pill bottles. I have also spilled them. Then, I spent an extended period of time on my knees on the floor with a flashlight and a magnet, combing through the carpet.
The 4 1/4" one is $5.00 on Amazon
Feel like a Mogul.

jonathan

The late/great Jim Banner taught us, years ago, the biggest point of failure on the 2-8-0 was the crank pin.  As a result, I regularly apply a tiny drop of light oil to that spot.

The eccentric crank going round and round on the pin is a wear spot.  If one runs trains daily, that pin can wear away eventually.

I know it's after-the-fact, but if you managed to get the pin replaced, it's good advice for the future.

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

I use desk drawer trays similar to this one, but gray, to hold screws and parts when I'm working on a loco or car:

Everything can be stored on it if work has to stop before the project is done.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rich1998

Good points. Remember, threaded fasteners on most locos today are Metric and not easily found at local hard ware stores if lost.

Rich

Crayfish

Thanks again, crank pin is cast with wheel and eccentric is screwed on.
I bought this online as a runner and got a surprise, so I don't want to spend same again with stupid shipping costs to get another surprise.

Trainman203

I actually have two engine spare parts carcasses right now.  A Frisco light USRA Mountain, they haven't been made in many years, with a stripped out worm gear (a pig in a poke purchase) and a Frisco Decapod, worked on badly by someone, that grinds like a mixmaster when it runs.  I haven't had to get anything off of them yet, but that day will surely come.  I love the Frisco and it kills me to hdve those two beautiful pieces sidelined.