News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New hand just came aboard.

Started by Mic Ado, November 15, 2018, 12:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mic Ado

Howdy all, I have fallen for ON30 scale after many years as an HO driver.
Age , as some know , visually thanks the larger size of locomotives and rolling stock.
I do have  questions about DCC and DC analog. My layout is HO running with two MRC power supplies,
so the transition to ON30 is a natural. At the present I have no plan to go with DCC as I bought a Bachmann 2-6-0
that moves beautifully all speeds with a short consist. The current 5 block system on my short line HO gives me plenty of action combinations.
Is Bachmann's locomotive line up only available in one analog DC ? the Mogal 2-6-0 .
Will any other model, such as the Porter 0-4-0 DCC, perform with DC only ?
Thanks Mic.

Flare

Welcome!

The analog 2-6-0 is the only currently-produced loco I'm aware of that's DC only, though Bachmann also makes a DCC version now with an optional sound module.

Bachmann's current lineup of DCC On30 locomotives use dual-mode decoders that are compatible with DC operation. the drawback is that they need a few volts to 'wake up'; So they won't start to crawl until you turn the dial up a bit.

If you aren't satisfied with the dual-mode DC operation, it's possible to rewire the DCC locos to be analog-only.

ScottyB

Any DCC equipped engine will run on DC. If you desire, the decoder can be pulled out and replaced with a dummy for better operation. (Not so easy with the sound versions.)

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

efehser

Most new locos are DCC equipped, but will run on dc layouts, albeit poorly. Bachmann includes the jumpers and instructions for insertion if you want to run straight dc all the time.

dutchbuilder

If you insist on running on DC try this piece of electronics.
You will also need a regulated power supply.
https://www.banggood.com/PWM-DC-Motor-Speed-Switch-Controller-Control-Reversible-Regulator-p-912617.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN
Your locomotives will run much smoother and slower.

Ton

Mic Ado

Interesting inputs, thanks. I'll stay with regular DC for now.  ;D