News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC wont program

Started by gtonut1, November 21, 2018, 05:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtonut1

I have a FA2 that is new. It works fine in DC but wont do anything in DCC. Tried resetting to factory specs and #3 but still nothing, I programed several others at the same time and had no issues. Normally a new loco will sit and idle when set on a DCC track, this one does nothing.

WoundedBear

Is there a decoder installed?

Sid

jward

What DCC system are you using?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

When you did the reset, did you cycle track power and did the headlight flash sixteen times? That completes the reset. I have a link from this forum mentioning that. The loco should have run on address 3.

Rich

gtonut1

Factory decoder installed. Let sit a few days , ran trains on main, set on main entered 3 no response. set on DC track lights, sound, runs perfect. Reset according to bachman specs.

jward

I will ask again. What DCC system are you using? It DOES make a difference.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

gtonut1

I am using a NCE system. I have had it for several years. I programmed 2 other Bachmann locos on the same day. They both had light and idle sound when placed on the DCC main line, this one does not do that.

jward

NCE is not known for having problems programming the Bachmann decoders, as Digitrax is. With Digitrax, the workaround to programming problems is to place a 1000 ohm resistor across the rails of the programming track. I am not sure if this would make a difference in your case but it's something to try.

What programming mode are you using? Have you tried more than one?

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

gtonut1

I have 2 different NCE set ups, one is for just programming, the other is used for running trains. I have tried using both. I have reset to 3 multiple times. I have tried using combinations of the cab number. I just programed another loco and it worked just fine. I have a tester to see if decoders are bad but not sure if removing and testing will void warranty.

Thanks for the replies and for things to try, Butch

Bucksco

Butch - it sounds like you know what you are doing. My first instinct is always to do a factory reset on the decoder. If that doesn't work maybe have a look under the hood to see if any of the wires have lost contact with the board. The little black plastic wire holders on the decoder come loose sometimes. If you don't get results you should contact the Bachmann Service department for help. Call Laura Harris the service manager during normal operating hours.