Using HO EZ Track to make 2 to 3, 3 to 4 and 2 to 4 track runs

Started by Dr TaNaKa, November 23, 2018, 05:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr TaNaKa

Ok, guess I should explain, my grandchildren would like to mimic the NYC Subway System.  Oldest one presented the idea to make station stops for each configuration of station stops in the system in a giant loop layout. 

I said there are 472 stations, that is a lot of different configurations.  He laughed and said no grandpa
that would be crazy.  We could make 2 tracks stations, 3 track stations and 4 track stations without all the extra curves and misaligned station configurations.

Once I thought about it, I understood the concept of what they wanted.  Basically, there are 2 types of 2 track stations in
NYC Subways IRT Division, 2 type of 3 track stations and 3 types of 4 track stations on the lines they wish made into this layout.

So one weekend soon we will AnyRail a layout and make sure we have what we need to make this come to life.

Once configured in Anyrail I hope I am allowed to Post here in the forums if that is possible.

Dr TaNaKa

So Terry and Len, here is the deal

Grandchildren like Grandfather love NYC Subways. They want to build a layout based on it.

Oldest grandson says we could built one with configurations of the many 2 track, 3 track and
And 4 track stations. He wants it based on the IRT (A-Division) stations.

He suggested either a point to point or his really big idea a circular system with the different
Station configurations placed around the layout.

So one of these weekends we will load Anyrail on the computer and see what we come with.

Terry Toenges

I lived in NY from 9/70 - 12/74. When I first moved up there (Before I got a car), I took the IRT from Van Cortlandt Park to Broadway and 34th Street. I was a store detective at EJ Korvette's in Herald Square for a few months before I went to work at the UN.
Feel like a Mogul.

Dr TaNaKa

I lived 125th and Broadway and watched the #1 pass by all the time.  My mother worked EJ Korvette during the time you were there until she moved on to NY Telephone.  I loved watching the #1 pass thru the Elevated station.

That image from our 17th floor apartment is what I now want to add to
my grandsons layout.  

Terry Toenges

I lived on Cornell in Yonkers. I would take a bus to Van Cortland Park to catch the IRT. I might have known your Mom but I really don't remember many people from there.
Feel like a Mogul.

Dr TaNaKa

Len, Question, AnyRail labels short tracks sections as:
44592-1 3/4"
44592-2 1"
44592-3 1 1/4"
44592-4 1 1/2"
44592-5 2"

In your image 1-2-4 ladder with crossovers, I see them lettered A-E.
Should I take for granted E = 3/4" and B 1 1/2"?

Len

Yes. I used RR-Track, and it labels the straight assortment pieces from A - E:

A - 0.75"
B - 1.00"
C - 1.25"
D - 1.50"
E - 2.00"

I've never had to use the assortment and, since they all have the same package number, figured that's how the pieces were labeled underneath.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.