News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding sound to DCC equipped Locomotives

Started by fwbeyer, November 25, 2018, 07:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fwbeyer

Can sound be added to the locomotives in the Digital Commander Starter set.  They are:

DCC-equipped EMD GP40 locomotive with operating headlight
DCC-equipped EMD FT-A locomotive with operating headlight

If so,  how is it done?  I'm a DCC newbie.

Thanks,

F Beyer

infamouselijah

I'm sure that it can be done. I myself don't have experience with DCC, but from what I've seen on here, I believe you may need to remove some of the frame to make room for a speaker, and the speaker may require a different decoder or some sort of add-on.

ACY

Quote from: fwbeyer on November 25, 2018, 07:31:45 PM
Can sound be added to the locomotives in the Digital Commander Starter set.  They are:
DCC-equipped EMD GP40 locomotive with operating headlight
DCC-equipped EMD FT-A locomotive with operating headlight
If so,  how is it done?  I'm a DCC newbie.
Yes it can be done, but I would not advise attempting if you are a novice. After you are more experienced it may be something you may want to pursue at a later time.
If you want a GP-40 or FT-A with sound then it would be easier and cheaper to just buy locomotives that come with factory installed sound.

rich1998

I agree, difficult for new DCC user. Go to the diagram page and look at the sound value for those two locos and see where the speakers go. Usually 28 mm speakers. I just looked.
Also you will need soldering experience. Use a soldering pen, not a soldering gun. No idea of your experience.
The decoder will have to be removed and be replaced by a light board with LED's sound version is an option.
According to the Parts diagrams, the PC boards do not have sockets and are a complete decoder. Your locos might be different.

I have done a couple, not Bachmann.

Rich

Bucksco

This may help. you can use a an adapter cable to plug an eight pin decoder into the socket. You will however need to install a speaker and wire it to the decoder.
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,27726.0.html

Whiz1994

All I have are older DC or DCC engines. Some of my DC Engines I have converted to DCC, w/sound. There are quite a few MFG where the decoders can be purchased. Requires soldering skills, as 8 to 10 wires are involved. The motor power must go thru the decoder and not direct from the track. Some existing factory wiring has to be changed. Some of the newer engines, I don't have any , I understand, has the 8 or 10 wire decoder that will just plug into a socket already supplied with the engine