Can I use older E-Z DCC chips in later engines, like the 2tShay or Climax?

Started by DennisBT, November 26, 2018, 02:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisBT

I'm writing this here because I see very little traffic on the DCC forum.  A few years ago when I got my first Bachmann On30 Porter and 2TShay I later got the cheap B'mann E-Z Command DCC set.  Cheap is right, but it works and introduced me to DCC.  Shortly after that I bought 3 little Bachmann DCC chips with pigtails and tiny 8-pin connectors.  Never used them.  New in bag.  Will they plug into my 2TShay, Climax and, most especially, my recent 2-6-6-2 that apparently has NO DCC on board????  (One of the TrainWorld $99 buys)  Thought I'd ask experts here before I tear into the locomotives and make a mistake.
Mainly wondering if I can use or have to throw away these 3 new chips.  i.e., what are they good for currently?
Thanks, Dennis

dutchbuilder

First place it's not a chip but a decoder .
The chip as you call it is part of the electronics on the decoder
If it has as you say a 8 pin nmra connector is see no reason why they shouldn't work.

Ton

DennisBT

Thanks.  Then it's worth a try.  I have a friend that always calls decoders, "chips," and I guess I picked up the term.  I would think all this would have to be NMRA compliment anyway.

dutchbuilder

By the way , all my 2-6-6-2's have 21 pin connectors.
So you will need a 21 pin decoder or a adapter cable to 8 pins

Ton

DennisBT

Oh.  Swell.  Haven't opened up my 2-6-6-2 yet, but if it's 21 pin, it might not be worth making it DCC.  I have no idea where to get an adapter cable to convert 21 to 8.  Or, what decoder to buy should I even want to put any more money in it. ???

ksivils

Tony's Train Exchange specializes in everything there is in the DCC modeling universe.

https://tonystrains.com/

dutchbuilder

The internet is your best friend.
Plenty of 21 pin decoders on Ebay.
With and without sound.
DCC isn't rocket science.

Ton

DennisBT

Thanks everyone.  Found loose connector.  My 2-6-6-2 DOES have DCC decoder.  Off and running.  Will think about sound cards next.
Merry Christmas, Dennis

dutchbuilder

First we have St. Nicolas on the fifth in the Netherlands and than he can sail to you part of the world and become Santa Claus. ;D

Ton

efehser

The articulateds are sweet running, and well worth putting a good sound decoder into. 21 pin decoders are easy to find, with Loksound, WOWSound, and Tsunami all having examples. The caveat is that the tender on the 2-6-6-2 is very tight, space wise. My install ended up being a WOWSound WOW101-KA steam decoder, with a 9-21 pin adapter to hook into the loco.