News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

styrene for kitbashing

Started by crash, November 29, 2018, 06:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crash

What thickness styrene should I use for the base when kitbashing a structure ?

Nathan

What scale are you working in?  What are you building?  Will it be placed on a home layout or a module that will be moved around often?

Nathan

rich1998

crash

HO scale and for use on smaller models on my home layout.

DAVISinGP

If you're referring to the actual base of an HO structure, I'd go with .040. It will be nice and sturdy for attaching "custom" walls, etc.

Another benefit for me is that building "foundations" are even with my sidewalks which are .040 (.020 pattern on top of a .020 plain sheet).

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4847/46135837601_b88d6b573d_o.jpg

Len

If you need a larger piece for a base board than styrene usually comes in, 1 mm illustration board is 0.0398" thick. Which is close enough to 0.040 not to matter. After cutting to size, I spray both sides with Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover Matte Clear to reduce interactions with changing room humidity. You can find 20" x 40" pieces at art and craft supply stores like Michaels. It's also available at a number of places on line.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Piyer

Quote from: Len on December 02, 2018, 07:17:55 AM
If you need a larger piece for a base board than styrene usually comes in 8<---------
Len

Just to boggle the mind....

On eBay one can find .040" styrene offered in 4x8 sheets - that's 4x8 feet, not inches. Granted, it's a bit pricey at that size, but if you do the math, it works out to $0.025 cents per square inch vs. about twice that - 5 cents - per square inch when you buy it in the normal size sheet sold by Evergreen. So it might make sense for larger builds, or when you are doing a ton of scratch building.

One can also use these large sheets of styrene for backdrops and / or layout fascia, or even control panels. The 4x8 (48x96) is just one of many sizes offered online, although I cannot recall seeing anything larger than 4x8.

Happy modeling! 
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

Len

Let's see, 4'x8' = 48"x96" = 4,608sq/in. 4,608 x $0.025 = $115.20/sheet, plus shipping.

vs

<$5.00 for a 20"x40" sheet of 1mm Illustration Board I can pick up at the local arts & crafts store.

Think I'll stick with the illustration board.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Piyer

Len, I was merely pointing out that there are larger sheets of styrene available than we normally encounter, let alone think of. Bulk savings aside, do the majority of us need such huge sheets? No. But maybe someone needs a 12x24 / 24x36 / 24x48 / 12x36 / 12x48 (inches) sheet, and now they know they can find those online too.  ;)
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

crash

Thanks all. all helpful info. I just started 3 models.