Only GE45 Ton stalls at Frog Only on #5 EZ Command DCC Right Turnout

Started by RBDNHM, November 30, 2018, 06:23:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RBDNHM

I have researched substantially so this is somewhat of an age old question.  However, I have two specific questions that I have not found definitive answers for.

This little locomotive stalls repeatedly over a frog on this one turnout.  It is the only locomotive I have that stalls on my track and this locomotive stalls only at the frog on this one turnout.

I am thinking it is the short wheelbase of locomotive (just barely longer than the frog?) on an unpowered frog.

Can I and should I power the frog?  Some posts in various forums say not to on a DCC layout.

I understand powering the frog involves connecting an existing black lead in the turnout to the frog.  If I can power the frog without burning down my house, is that the correct way to power it?

Thank you for responses.

WoundedBear

All the frogs are powered on my DCC layout, but I don't use Bachmann set track. The people telling you not to do it, probably don't know how to do it.

My frogs get their power from the toggle switches that I use to run the slow speed switch motors.

Sid

jonathan

Another thing to check:

With a small wheelbase, it is very import that ALL pick up brushes are clean and making good contact with the drive brushes.

I was having trouble an S-2 (another small loco) which did not want to run through turnouts.  I had to resolder a connecting wire to one of the pick up brush assemblies.  Just sayin' a thorough check of the wires and brushes may also be in order.

Regards,

Jonathan

Trainman203

I have unpowered frogs and sometimes one engine will stall on one frog exclusively.  The frog is denying pickup on one wheel set and the engine is depending on another wheel set on the same rail.  I don't know why, but some bad vibe in the zodiac constantly chooses that one critical place for excess oxidation or deposit of a perfectly placed piece of crud to break contact at that critical point.  Identify the point and surgically clean, including the inside face of the railhead, and continually monitor and maintain.  I have places where two frogs on successively in line switches coincide with all of the engine pickup wheels on one rail.  That's where powered frogs prove their worth.

Trainman203

Graphite is a dry lubricant.  Wouldn't that really diminish tractive effort ?

RBDNHM

Thank you for the replies.  I will try cleaning, both wheels and rails. It could be the zodiac combination; the same locomotive goes through a mirror image, otherwise identical turnout fine.

indian_hills_r_r

I don't know if this will help. but on my layout and the clubs layout , we found a neat little thing from "tam valley depot" . its called a frog juicer. basically what it does it is power the frogs to stop the stalling of engines. I have one on my layout because one of my curved switches  had problems like this.  it is not very expensive about $14.00. go to the website and read up on it. hope this helps

jward

Quote from: RBDNHM on November 30, 2018, 07:48:00 PM
Thank you for the replies.  I will try cleaning, both wheels and rails. It could be the zodiac combination; the same locomotive goes through a mirror image, otherwise identical turnout fine.

Try turning the locomotive around and seeing if it stalls in the same place, or on the "mirror image" frog.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

I've run into his problem with two axle diesels, and general found one of three things causing the problem:

1. The top of the frog is not flush with the connecting rails, so it lifts one corner of the loco as it passes through. This can cause enough loss of electral contact on another wheel, so the engine stalls. Solution: Carefully file down the top of the frog until it is flush with the connecting rails. You may also need to deepen the flangeway using the technique in '2' below after doing this.

2. There is a flaw in the frog casting, so the flangeway isn't as deep as it's supposed to be. This can also cause a wheel to lift, with results similar to '1' above. Solution: Use the edge of a flat needle file to deepen the flangeway of the frog.

3. Debris of one sort or another has gotten into the flangeway, causing a wheel to lift. Solution: Run a toothpick through the flangeway to remove the debris.

In all three cases, if you watch carefully as you run the loco into the switch at low speed, you should be able to see a slight lift to a wheel as it enters the frog just before a stall.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

Yes, the lifting wheel.  I've had to file EZ track frogs down level with the adjacent rail.

RBDNHM

Thank you for the input. The track is very new, but when I started to clean and inspect it, the same issue started with the mirror turnout.  I connected the provided frog power connection for the turnout, and at least so far all is working well.  I plan to run the 45 Tonner tomorrow morning to see if a change in the moon affects it.

kamerad47

I use a  graphite pencil  on the rails it works wonders!!!!!!!

Trainman203

After putting graphite on the rail, will your engine still pull the same number of cars?

kamerad47

yes it does !! no problem !!!!!! your not  using a lot !!!!!!