A good simple DCC board for Spectrum Consolidation?

Started by wiley209, December 07, 2018, 08:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiley209

I recently ordered on eBay a Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 steam locomotive and tender (in ATSF road name, of course) and it's DCC-ready. But what decoder should I use? I'm going to run it with my E-Z Command unit and I don't want anything to fancy.
I've been eyeing this one, as I've often had good luck with TCS decoders on my layout and E-Z Command system...
http://tcsdcc.com/installation/ho-scale/bachmann-spectrum-baldwin-2-8-0/dp2x-uk

Anyone ever try this decoder with E-Z Command? If not, any other alternatives? Would any of Bachmann's own plug-in decoders work? (It would have to be the 8-pin version.)

rich1998

This should plug right in. Cut any caps. It will have a C prefix. Some years ago I used an older version Digitrax DZ125 in a couple Bachmann locos. The decoder worked just fine. It will also control front and rear lights. Nothing fancy.

TCS is good. Your choice.

Over the years, many have replaced Bachmann decoders as they are starter decoders. Check and compare the CV list. In fact, Google Bachmann on board decoders.
The sound decoders are SoundTraxx and very good.

http://www.digitrax.com/products/mobile-decoders/dz126ps/

Rich

wiley209

Well, I ordered the TCS DP2X-UK decoder! AND the locmotive came in the post today, and yup, it matches the photos with the same 8-pin plug. The thing on the tender the hook attaches to had broken off in transit, so I glued it back on and am letting it dry until I get the decoder. This is going to be my first DCC steam locomotive on the layout! (I have plenty of other DCC locomotives, but they're all diesel; some are Bachmann, and some are from Athearn and Walthers and Life-Like Proto 1000/2000 with TCS decoders.)

rich1998

That is good to hear.
I have heard of many good reports about TCS in other forums.
I started with SoundTraxx about ten years ago and LokSound.
No more because of health issues but had great times.
Cheers

Rich

wiley209

The decoder arrived today! I plugged it into the tender following the instructions, including removing the capacitor as mentioned on the website. But the locomotive is having trouble working; it just makes a hum as if it were still analog and won't operate. I think there's a short somewhere in the tender; now I just have to find it and fix it!

rich1998

When you cut the cap, nothing shorted on the PC board? Last I knew the cap was a yellow blob.
A shoirt does not sound good. Did you try on the program track? The program track usually protects the decoder. Good idea even with a new decoder. I mis-wired a Bachmann 4-4-0 using a Tsunami Micro once. Reversed orange and red wires for a hard wire install the small tender. That saved my decoder.
When you go to program again, do a decoder reset. You should see the the decoder I.D. After you cycle the track power, the headlight should flash sixteen times as I recall and the loco run on 3.

Rich

wiley209

Quote from: rich1998 on December 12, 2018, 08:38:53 PM
When you cut the cap, nothing shorted on the PC board? Last I knew the cap was a yellow blob.
A shoirt does not sound good. Did you try on the program track? The program track usually protects the decoder. Good idea even with a new decoder. I mis-wired a Bachmann 4-4-0 using a Tsunami Micro once. Reversed orange and red wires for a hard wire install the small tender. That saved my decoder.
When you go to program again, do a decoder reset. You should see the the decoder I.D. After you cycle the track power, the headlight should flash sixteen times as I recall and the loco run on 3.

Rich

Yes, the cap was pretty much a yellow blob, just like on the website guide. How would I reset the decoder using the E-Z Command unit?
Hmmm, I looked at the tender wheels, and noticed the insulator thingy on the axles was on the same side on both rtucks on the tender. I think they are actually supposed to be set so on one truck, the insulators are on facing one rail, and the other truck has them facing the other rail. Should I swap them out?

wiley209

Well, I re-positioned the wheels in the tender trucks as shown on the diagram, put the decoder back in the proper way, and NOW the engine runs like it's supposed to! My hunch was right; it had something to do with the tender wheels.

rich1998

Yes, been some years. I completely forgot about some Bachmann steamers, the tender wheels can complexity swivel and cause a short. My bad.

Rich