District Booster and Bachmann EZ Track 9" Power Terminal tracks

Started by Dr TaNaKa, December 09, 2018, 12:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr TaNaKa

My grandson asked me if he ever made a layout large enough to need a booster amp (we use MRC) could he use
9" EZ Track power terminal tracks with insulated gap.  My answer was yes since it would the same as if you were installing on
a reverse loop. I believe I am correct with this line of thinking.

jward

Tell your grandson that the overall size of the layout isn't why you need a booster. A large layout running only one or two trains at a time does not need a booster. But even a small layout might need a booster if you try to run a lot of locomotives, especially sound ones, at the same time.

As for the gapped track, yes you are correct that it could be used to separate dcc power districts, the same as you would use it to separate blocks on a DC layout. The concept is the same. In fact, if you have a lot of DCC locomotives sitting in a yard, you could gap those tracks, and hook them up separately to your command station through on-off switches to kill power to the yard. DCC locomotives draw power even when not moving, and being able to isolate certain tracks will lessen the power drawn from your command station. It may help you avoid the added cost of a booster.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA