News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newbie E-Z Command Dynamis question

Started by lifeisgrizz, December 21, 2018, 04:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lifeisgrizz

Sorry for the newbie question, but I'm converting from old-school 3-rail O-27 to 2-rail N-scale and don't really know anything yet about DCC or 2-rail operations.

I want to run a single old Rapido engine on a simple oval track around the Christmas tree with the wireless E-Z Command Dynamis controller I just bought. All I want for now is speed and reversing control. Is there a way to do this without installing a decoder in the engine? (it has NO room to install a decoder and is definitely not DCC ready)

Do I even need a decoder, and if so can I just attach it to the rails to run a single loco on an oval track?

Any help / hacks would be seriously appreciated. I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm having a hard time finding relevant posts.
Thanks!

spookshow

Analog locos can be controlled and operated using a DCC system - just set the locomotive address on your command station to zero. The only downside is that locomotive motors tend to make unpleasant noises when so operated.

-Mark

Hunt

Not all DCC systems can control an analog locomotive, Dynamis is one.

The E-Z Command Dynamis cannot be used to control an analog locomotive.  Dynamis requires a DCC decoder be installed in locomotive.

rich1998

Have you tried an N scale decoder? They are out there. I posted a reply earlier but the message was deleted. I guess someone did not like the brand of decoder.

Rich

lifeisgrizz

Quote from: rich1998 on December 21, 2018, 01:20:30 PM
Have you tried an N scale decoder? They are out there. I posted a reply earlier but the message was deleted. I guess someone did not like the brand of decoder.

Rich

Hi Rich. Thanks for your reply! I sent you a message, can you PM or email me? Thanks

lifeisgrizz

Quote from: Hunt on December 21, 2018, 06:57:42 AM
Not all DCC systems can control an analog locomotive, Dynamis is one.

The E-Z Command Dynamis cannot be used to control an analog locomotive.  Dynamis requires a DCC decoder be installed in locomotive.

But for a single engine can I just connect the DCC decoder motor control wires to the track? There really doesn't seem to be any room in this little guy to install anything... Thanks!

(I tried to upload a picture of the engine but the site won't let me. It is a Rapido Western 0-6-0 green & red steamer)

Hunt

Quote from: lifeisgrizz on December 22, 2018, 02:07:26 AM

But for a single engine can I just connect the DCC decoder motor control wires to the track? There really doesn't seem to be any room in this little guy to install anything... Thanks!

Try it if you want --- let us known the results.

I recommend using a decoder equipped locomotive.

lifeisgrizz

Just an update - I got a decoder, hooked the motor control wires directly to the track and...
It worked perfectly! I now have wireless control of my old Rapido Christmas train without altering the engine :)

Hunt

What decoder are you using?

What speed steps are being used - 28 or 128?

Any noticeable locomotive headlight flicker or change in headlight flicker rate at different step along the speed curve?

lifeisgrizz

Quote from: Hunt on December 26, 2018, 10:26:41 PM
What decoder are you using?

What speed steps are being used - 28 or 128?

Any noticeable locomotive headlight flicker or change in headlight flicker rate at different step along the speed curve?

I used a DZ126 decoder hooked up between the Dynamis Command Station and the track power clips.
I wired the decoder power pickup leads to the Command Station and the motor control leads to the track clips. In effect, this is just a wireless DCC speed/direction controller running a DC track, with room for future expansion.

I'm currently using 28 speed steps, and this baby can now  c-r-a-w-l  or throw itself off the track in forward or reverse, all  from my couch :)

The loco I'm running doesn't have headlights so I can't say about that, but my lighted Pullman cars work just the same as they did on DC. (slower=dimmer, faster=brighter) No noticeable difference between the DC and the DCC. They start lighting at step 2, which is what it takes to get the loco to start moving.

No motor noise difference in the engine, still runs smooth as silk but with way better speed control than the analog transformer (and did I mention I can do it from my couch?)

Keep in mind this is a simple oval track with one loco, no turnouts, just to run around the Christmas tree, but it's exactly what I wanted. For now. ( - don't tell my wife I said that ;) )

UPDATE: now using 128 speed steps, works even better