News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GE 45 Ton Switcher

Started by Joe Zullo, December 10, 2018, 04:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Zullo

I am looking to find the parts diagram for the 45 ton switcher. Does anyone have one they could scan for me?  :-*

Joe Zullo

Bill,
Can you give me a little Bachmann history of this loco? I found one and purchased it and it's on it's way to me. #81899

the Bach-man

Dear Joe,
The service department should be able to provide that info.
Call (215)533-1600 Ext. 231
Good luck!
the Bach-man

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Joe,

81899   None   None   2003   ~ Loco   GE 45 ton, painted, unlettered   P   1      yellow / black

They came out in 2003 and were not good sellers. they were 1:20.3 and very large next to an Annie.  They run beautifully and i have two of them. I converted one of them into a Box cab and the other is stock.

The detail is great and they look good.  The only fault I know of is that they have the spring loaded contacts between the trucks and the frame.  Back then members were reporting problems with them losing contact and stopping.  I investigated the problem at the time and found that High voltage for long periods tended to fry the springs in the contacts causing the loco to quit running.  Also if one derailed and shorted out the springs could be fried that way. It happened to one of mine.   

The solution is relatively easy.  I removed the spring contacts and hardwired the truck to the chassis. never had a problem since, and like I said it(they) run like a sewing machine!!

Hope you enjoy it!

Bill

I did look for my diagram, but seem to have misplaced it, or I  might have left them in the box, but they are in deep storage where I keep all my empty boxes, and I can't get to them.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Joe Zullo

Loco Bill Canelos

Glad to help Joe!

Here is an image of one of mine converted to a boxcab.

https://s259.photobucket.com/user/sharronbillc/media/Boxcab/DSCN8776Medium.jpg.html

I used some of the parts from the original.   My photobucket account is open so when the image comes up you can scroll thru other related images showing how I did it.

Take care,.

Bill

charon

Joe;
Did you find a parts diagram yet? If not, I have an extra one I can mail you if you email me your address.
Incidentally, they made four different versions; yellow undecorated, red undecorated, black Midwest Quarry and black AT&SF.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Joe Zullo

Quote from: charon on December 18, 2018, 08:51:10 AM
Joe;
Did you find a parts diagram yet? If not, I have an extra one I can mail you if you email me your address.
Incidentally, they made four different versions; yellow undecorated, red undecorated, black Midwest Quarry and black AT&SF.
Chuck

Chuck,
Thanks. Check your messages on this site as I cannot see your email address(it's hidden from my view).

Loco Bill Canelos

Joe you can send a private message to chuck,  click on that link!

charon

Hi Joe and Bill;
Joe I put the exploded parts diagram in the mail this morning.  For what it's worth, the original info on the 45 ton switchers call for a recommended 8 foot diameter circle of track, however I have run them just fine on the 24" radius track,  Enjoy.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Joe Zullo

Quote from: Loco Bill Canelos on December 20, 2018, 09:15:11 AM
Joe you can send a private message to chuck,  click on that link!
That is what I did and asked Chuck to check his messages in the post above yours.  :o

Loco Bill Canelos

Joe sorry about that, Thought you were referring to his lack of email not PM.

Joe Zullo

Quote from: charon on December 20, 2018, 10:23:47 AM
Hi Joe and Bill;
Joe I put the exploded parts diagram in the mail this morning.  For what it's worth, the original info on the 45 ton switchers call for a recommended 8 foot diameter circle of track, however I have run them just fine on the 24" radius track,  Enjoy.
Chuck
Chuck,

I have a copy of the article that appeared in Model Railroader November 2003 issue by Jim Hediger. It is a review of this new Bachmann model. It says the minimum radius is 24 inches (4 foot diameter) and it can easily negotiate the sharp curves commonly found on industrial railroads.

On a side note, I have an Aristo RS-3 that easily negotiates my R1 switches better than my 4-6-0 Big Haulers, so I'm not the least bit worried about this 45 tonner handling them well..

charon

Joe;
Is there any way you could email or land mail me a copy of that article?  My addresses are both in the letter I sent you.
I don't know why my email address won't show up in my profile.  It is  cfernette@tampabay.rr.com

Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Joe Zullo