how to select the 16 different Airhorns on the DCC diesel loco

Started by kevincasey, December 12, 2018, 08:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevincasey

how is this accomplished? - it has the default air horn (both Long and Short), but how to I choose another horn?

Hunt

CV 120 sets the airhorn sound used by Bachmann N scale diesel with factory installed Econami SoundValue decoder.

Examples:
EMD SD9, CV 120 = 4 is default value, which is Nathan P3 airhorn sound
Click Here for selection

GE Dash 8-40CW, CV 120 = 0 is default value, which is Nathan K5LA airhorn sound
Click Here for selection

kevincasey

so I have the 'GE Dash8-40CW', with a default value of 0 (Nathan K5LA) for an air horn - how do I change the default value?

Hunt

Quote from: kevincasey on December 13, 2018, 07:33:39 AM
so I have the 'GE Dash8-40CW', with a default value of 0 (Nathan K5LA) for an air horn - how do I change the default value?

Program CV 120 to a different value in the 0 - 6 range.

Hunt

Hunt

kevincasey

I have the Bachmann EZ Command Control Center (controller) - I use this on the EZ track -the sound is excellent, but want to have the ability to change the default values -sounds like a change from the EZ controller might be needed

Hunt

The E-Z Command Control Center cannot be used to do what you want. It can indirectly program a few CVs (CV 1 and part of CV 29). It cannot program by user supplied CV number.

You will have to replace the E-Z Command Control Center to take full advance of the capability of the DCC decoder factory installed.

Hunt

---- Correct software typo ---
You will have to replace the E-Z Command Control Center to take full advance advantage of the capability of the DCC decoder factory installed.

kevincasey

thanks for your help, I appreciate it - do you have any recommendations from the replacement of the EZ Command Center controller? - I would need something that plugs into the track like the EZ controller does, right?

Hunt

Don't have nearly enough information about what you want to do and can afford to do in model railroading to make a recommendation.

An inexpressive DCC system just may become the most expensive one you can acquire. Many folks are distracted, possibly handicapped, by the uninformed rationalization I do not need anything but simple  -- not knowing DCC is simple.

However, high cost does not always mean the most capabilities and fewest limitations.   
Cost is important and once the cost is in the range of what you can spend then view cost in the context of what do you get for the money? All DCC systems have their capabilities and limitations. It is the balance of capabilities, limitations and cost.
Two key  gotchas are
1)   Not knowing the capabilities and limitations of the DCC system
2)   Not knowing what you are required to do to use the DCC system capabilities and if there are plausible workarounds to some of the limitations.

A place to start --- Compare other DCC system to the NCE Power Cab
Comparison should include but not be limited to
1) system expandability
2) system upgradeability
3) ergonomics of the throttle, also referred to as Cab
4) number of available Functions
5) type of keypad
6) type of speed control
7) type display and what information can be displayed
8) wireless option
9) operate stationary decoders
10) adjustable track voltage
11) PC interface
12) The logic of your interface to the system. Example: What are the steps needed to give commands to the system.
13) Support reputation of the manufacturer

Download and read the Manual(s). Is it written so you can understand it once you learn the terminology?

Caveat --  If you have researched one make of DCC system or decoder and think all the others are the same – you are mistaken.

Hunt

An aside --- This forum is Powered by SMF

8) is recognized by SMF as code  for the Cool Smiley thus the smiley between 7) and 9) in the 'Comparison should include but not be limited to' list.  This reply is placed between Bulletin Board Code Tags so 8) would not parse to a smiley.

plas man

could kevincasey have his loco programed by another DCC controller (club member / hobby shop or friend ) and use these setting's  with the Bachmann EZ or would the EZ  convert back to the factory default ?
thus enable him to save money on a new system ?

Hunt

Quote from: plas man on December 14, 2018, 04:36:57 PM
could kevincasey have his loco programed by another DCC controller (club member / hobby shop or friend ) and use these setting's  with the Bachmann EZ or would the EZ  convert back to the factory default ?
thus enable him to save money on a new system ?
E-Z Command Control Center will use decoder CVs as programmed as long as it is within the capability of the E-Z Command Control Center to use.

For the decoder in the GE Dash8-40CW locomotive -  all CVs are set to their default value by programming 8 to CV8 and turning the system power off and back on. The E-Z Command Control Center cannot program by user supplied CV number. 

kevincasey

thanks man, I really appreciate your help and comments - if I use the NCE Power Cab, it looks like I will have to splice the red, EZ track wire in order to use the Cab's 2 pin plug  - currently, my Bachmann EZ DCC controller (works great, by the way) has a red track wire - this red wire plugs into the track, and the other end plugs into the controller - the end that plugs into the controller will need to have the plug cut off, then splice and expose the 2 wires in order to use the Cab 2 pin plug - I'm thinking about it, we'll see - the Bachmann DCC Sound on Board diesel engines are great with the default sounds, but why not have the ability to choose too, right?

thanks again