News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wiring a turnout switch

Started by Truck5, December 13, 2018, 09:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truck5

As a relatively new model railroader, I bought what I thought would be a nice fit for me. DCC,  I'm not sure I care for it but that's the controller I now have..I want to wire a few turnouts that are not DCC. My EZ command controller has no accessory port for non DCC turnouts.  Question, Can I power the turnout using the rerailer? I notice it has two power ports on each side of the rerailer...I understand that DCC sends full time power to the track, is this AC or DC current?
If that is not an option what is next step to wire these turnouts if I can"t use my controller or rerailer...
Im guessing a separate power supply? Transformer? how many volts would that have to be..Recommendations appreciated..
The ends of the red wire have flat terminals the other end has the standard plug type that goes to the switch....A wall wart does not have the proper set up for this red wire

Len

A 14-18V "wall-wart" power supply rated at least 1 amp will work fine. Doesn't matter if it's AC or DC. I find 16V works well.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rich1998

Quite a few years ago I use to use a CD switcher. Saved burning out twin coils.
Today some use the Circuitron Snapper or make one Like I use to.

Rich

Truck5

The gentleman at the hobby store told me to use only AC on turnout switches not DC...is this true?

Len

No. Full answer over on the "General Discussion" thread you started.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.