News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bull Frog Snot

Started by ejseider, December 13, 2018, 05:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejseider

I've got a jar of Bull Frog Snot that has thickened so that I cannot apply it to loco wheels without getting lumps.  Is there any way to thin it?  If the answer is "no", then where's a good place to get traction wheels for HO locos?

Trainman203

Hunt

Quote from: ejseider on December 13, 2018, 05:29:35 PM
I've got a jar of Bull Frog Snot that has thickened so that I cannot apply it to loco wheels without getting lumps.  Is there any way to thin it?  If the answer is "no", then where's a good place to get traction wheels for HO locos?

Ask the manufacturer - expect you will be told to add very small amount of water and stir to thin the BULLFROG SNOT.

rich1998

Quote from: Hunt on December 13, 2018, 08:44:45 PM
Quote from: ejseider on December 13, 2018, 05:29:35 PM

Ask the manufacturer - expect you will be told to add very small amount of water and stir to thin the BULLFROG SNOT.

Yes, right in the instructions.

http://www.bullfrogsnot.com/faq.asp

Rich

jonathan

It may sound weird, but a drop or two of Windex gets the goo right back to it's normal consistency. Yes. I've done this with success.

Regards,

Jonathan

rbryce1

Always wondered where that stuff goes after it is applied.  Does it leave any type of film on the track?

rich1998

Quote from: rbryce1 on December 18, 2018, 09:05:55 AM
Always wondered where that stuff goes after it is applied.  Does it leave any type of film on the track?

Again, go read the instructions.

Rich

rbryce1

Thank you very much, if I had a bottle, I may be able to do that. ???

WoundedBear

Quote from: rbryce1 on December 19, 2018, 08:48:50 AM

You obviously missed the link in reply number 3.

Go read the instructions.

Sid

rich1998

Quote from: WoundedBear on December 19, 2018, 01:10:05 PM
Quote from: rbryce1 on December 19, 2018, 08:48:50 AM

You obviously missed the link in reply number 3.

Go read the instructions.

Sid

Thanks Sid

I guess I was too cryptic I was using my iPhone on the road. I will have to learn how to use "Click Here" for the link and be more clear.
My bad.

Rich

rbryce1

Well, thank you Wounded Bear for a second sarcastic answer to a simple question.

Yes, my bad, I did miss the link, but even after going to it, I find it is nothing more than a question and answer page from the manufacturer.  Of course they are going to say it does not leave any residue.  I was trying to ask people with experience what they actually found.  

In the mean time, I was over at my local hobby shop picking up an order that came in, and I asked them about it.  They do not even carry it based on the complaints of many of their customers.  

Wow, I thought, so I called a couple of members of my train club, and one said he used it for a while, found it easy to apply as long as you kept the wheels turning the whole time it was drying, and did improve traction on his steam locomotive, but did not work at all for him on his diesels because the improvement in traction was outweighed by the loss in wheel contact and conductivity.  But, he did quit using it because he had to keep re-applying it, and cleaning his track more frequently.  

No one else had much good to say about it either, but he was the only one who elaborated on it.  All were HO users.  None of the N scale users would touch it.  We don't have any S scale trains.

But, that was a small sampling, and I am not suggesting they are all correct.

So again, a simple question, has anyone here had any good or bad results using Bullfrog Snot and did it leave any residue on their track?

jonathan

Well,

I have used BFS on a few brass steam locos.  BFS worked pretty well for me.

A couple drawbacks:

- If the wheel is not absolutely clean, the BFS will not stick and will slide off the drive wheel in a pretty short time.  So, make sure the drive wheel is very clean.

- Over time, the BFS ages like a rubber band. It will get stiff and dry, and eventually it will peel off.  This requires a reapplication. So, It's not permanent, then neither is a traction tire. The instructions I read said this is normal.

I never noticed a residue left on the tracks. I wiped down my tracks on a regular basis. If there was any minor residue, I wouldn't have noticed it.  Also, I didn't run my brass very often.

If this troubles you, may I suggest finding a way to add weight to the locomotive?  I always prefer to add weight first. Weight adds traction but still allows the wheels to spin if the motor is being overloaded.

Regards,

Jonathan

rbryce1

Thanks Johnathan, this is what I wanted to find out.  I trust people's opinions who have used products or done things a lot more than what the manufacturer claims. 

I have an old Riverossi 4-6-4 Hudson that I converted to DCC and am contemplating installing sound as well.  It pulls like crazy when it has it's traction tires on, but it does not like retaining it's traction tires for more than 6 months.  Without them, as expected, it barely moves by itself.  I have extra tires, but they are a pain to install.  

If I applied it to the drive wheels only, I don't believe I should have electrical pickup problems with it, as the drive wheel does not pick up power anyway.  

I watched videos on how to apply it, but how hard is it to get the same thickness as the traction tire would have and is that even an issue?  If you find it is not thick enough after applying it, can you just add more to it or do you need to remove the first layer of BFS first then re-apply all at once?

Len

Who's traction tires are you using on the Hudson that come off after 6 months?

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rbryce1

Not sure who makes them, not even sure if it is the traction tire or the drive wheel.  Also, I have some 3% grades it is pulling up, so there may be some wheel slippage as well.  I've moved the loco to a different track that only has 2% slopes, and so far I haven't had any issues, but it has only been 2-3 months.  Just looking ahead right now in case it keeps doing it.