News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

NCE Snap It

Started by kevincasey, December 20, 2018, 09:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevincasey

I'm using a Bachmann EZ Track system - my 4x 8 layout has 8 turnouts, and I throw each switch using those small black boxes, powered by it's own Bachmann analog controller (power goes directly to the 1st switch box, and the other 7 switch boxes are linked to this 1st box) - works out great in conjunction with the Bachmann DCC controller that runs the 3 DCC engines and 1 analog (with the F10 key) engine 

I'm thinking of using the NCE Power Cab with the NCE Snap It Quad - it looks like I will only be able to use the Snap It to control 4 of the 8 switches, is that right?  can I tie 2 Snap It together to run 8 switches?

Hunt

As configured,  the one analog engine is run using  Address 10 not Function 10 (F10) .

Since you like it, you can continue to control the 8 turnout switch machines  as you do now while using the NCE Power Cab to control DCC locomotives. However, know the NCE Power Cab cannot be used to control any analog locomotive. 

NCE Snap-IT and Q Snap have different capabilities. If used, each NCE  Q Snap  can control up to four twin coil (dual solenoid) type switch machines by DCC or buttons. Thus used with nonDCC equipped Bachmann turnouts you need two Q Snaps Do use an external power supply. Do not tie Q Snaps  together.

This is Bachmann Trains forum mainly for their products so use another source for details about NCE products. Click Here and sign up for the NCE users group forum.  Or call NCE Technical Support - 585-265-0230 

kevincasey

thanks for the info - I'm currently thinking about the PowerCab, probably in a few more months - sounds like you are saying that I can use the Cab in conjunction with the Snap It, I will have to more research

kevincasey

I understand the green wires tie into the 'Snap It', but how does the Snap It connect to the NCE PowerCab   - right now my turnouts green wires connect to the remote switches, but I would like to throw these switches using the Cab, and not the Bachmann EZ Command controller (which works great, by the way) - another nice feature I like with the Cab is the de-coupling process

I throw the all turnout switches with the black box that comes with the track, not the DCC Controller - some of the biggest features with Bachmann's DCC controller is running more than 1 loco at a time, and very easy to use

Hunt

Quote from: kevincasey on December 30, 2018, 09:20:37 AM

I understand the green wires tie into the 'Snap It', but how does the Snap It connect to the NCE PowerCab  . . .

Through the track you run the trains on.

kevincasey

I understand the green wires tie into the 'Snap It', but how does the Snap It connect to the NCE PowerCab

Len

The 'Snap It' doesn't connec directly to the Power Cab, it connects to the track using the two screws labeled "TRK". It gets power from the track, as well as commands from the NCE controller through that connection.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

kevincasey

I am using Bachamnn's EZ track - can the Snap It still be used with Bachmann's EZ track? - I know that the Power Cab can be used with my Bachmann EZ track by splicing one end of the red power track wire to connect to the Cab's 2 pin plug, with the other end of the red wire connected to the Bachmann EZ track terminal

Len

Yes. If your track is already in place, there are two basic options to power the 'Snap It' and get DCC commands to it:

1. Run a red power wire from one side of a terminal rerailer to the 'Snap It' track inputs.

2. Solder your own wires to the track rails and run them to the 'Snap It' track inputs.

If your tracks not already in place, you could also replace a couple of rail joiners with code 100 terminal joiners that have wires already attached to them. Getting the regular joiners off isn't as simple as with other brands of track though.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

kevincasey

thanks Ken, I appreciate the input - I plan on splicing the end of the red power wire that connects to the Bachmann DCC controller and connect it to the 2 pin plug of the NCE Power Cab (Cab) - the other end of this red power wire is connected to the Bachmann EZ terminal rerailer track - now, this EZ track terminal rerailer has plugs on both sides of the track, so for the Snap It connections, I can use the other side of the terminal rerailer track (right?) because you mention in your Option 1 "from one side of a terminal rerailer" - am I correct?

the Cab offers more flexibility, including the process of coupling and uncoupling - currently, I'm using the Bachmann EZ Command Center controller (DCC controller) - it was so easy to use, and I liked the ability to run several locos on it, that I bought a second DCC controller for my 2nd layout - however, after about a month of using this 2nd DCC controller, it stopped working - I always have the right address, because I can get sound & lighting on all locos, but the locos do not run, either forward or backward - do you know anything about that?