News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GP7 Issue

Started by wof_hornet, January 09, 2019, 10:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wof_hornet

So here's an odd one. Purchased a Chessie System GP7, item no. 62453 a few weeks ago. DCC equipped, but I run it on DC. Worked fine until recently when it has simply refused to move. Its getting power, but I'm guessing not enough as the headlights are dim when I work the transformer. Other engines, including a DCC C&O 2-8-4 work fine. Any ideas? This issue is baffling the heck out of me.

brokemoto

You might have fried the decoder.  I have seen this on more than one decoder equipped B-mann and it has been a fried decoder every time.  Like you, I am not a DCC user.  I do not know what it is about B-mann decoders, but they do not seem to stand up well to DC.  If you know how to do it, simply remove the decoder and re-wire.  What is funny is that once you do that, the thing will run better without than it did with the decoder.

I do not know how to do it in a GP-7.  I have done it on the 44 tonner, F-7, mogul, ten wheeler and doodlebug.  It was not hard on those.

wof_hornet

Thanks, I just got a DCC controller to see what all the fuss about it is. I'll have to figure out what to do next I guess.