Norman Rockwell’s Main Street Christmas (Streetcar) - 6 section limit issue

Started by AnthoNYC, December 22, 2018, 03:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthoNYC

I just purchased "Norman Rockwell's Main Street Christmas" battery powered set on Monday and set it up today using all 10 track pieces (8 A-A and 2 A-B ends). The streetcar will happily start off at the furthest end from the battery and chug along merrily to the battery end, pause then reverse. But instead of traversing to the far end again it stops on the sixth track piece and reverses there back to the battery end.

I have checked my B-B B-A A-A .. A-B B-B configuration it is all correct. I have tried starting from shorter lengths and in many different combinations of straight/curved track but no matter the combination the streetcar always reverses on the sixth track piece when travelling away from the battery end. Again, it is quite happy to start at the far end every time and travel to the battery end, but will always reverse again travelling away from the battery at number six track piece.

I am using brand new Energiser Max AA batteries.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated as right now it looks like my streetcar company is operating a limited service in my Christmas town!

AnthoNYC

I have done some more investigating. If I turn the power off just before it gets to the point where it reverses prematurely, then turn the power on again it is able to continue to nearly the end. I'm really perplexed to be honest.

Len

Are you sure you have the gaps are on the same side at both ends? Also check for anything on the track at the point it stops that may be interrupting power at the point unwanted reversing happens, e.g., dirt or a rail joiner under a rail instead of on it.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

AnthoNYC

Thanks for the tips Len. I have checked all the track is connected correctly and that it is clear of any debris.

It does not appear to be related to the track. Numbering the track sections 1 (battery end) to 10, the train will run from 1 to 6 then reverse. So we know that sections 1-5 are working. If I move section 6 and insert it between 1 and 2 that makes what was section 5 now in the 6th place. Again the car will travel happily over section 2 (which was section 6 where it reversed before) and continue on to reverse on the new 6th section (which was original section 5 which worked fine before). I have tried this on different surfaces, with different combinations of track and always the same result. I would suspect it is time-related but that wouldn't explain how the train is able to travel the entire length of 10 sections if it starts initially from the end opposite the battery. I am totally baffled.

Quote from: Len on December 23, 2018, 02:39:18 PM
Are you sure you have the gaps are on the same side at both ends? Also check for anything on the track at the point it stops that may be interrupting power at the point unwanted reversing happens, e.g., dirt or a rail joiner under a rail instead of on it.

Len