Engine barely moves under its own power will not pull cars

Started by McKinley Explorer Ho72, December 24, 2018, 04:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McKinley Explorer Ho72

Fresh out of the box McKinley Explorer ho set engine will barely move around the track under its own power! add a car and it stops revs up and sounds like it's spinning but will not hardly move! What can I do to get this running have it set up under the Christmas tree on a hardwood floor nice and level.

rich1998

Looking at the Bachmann catalog this looks like a DC set, not DCC.
A guess right now, a coupling in the loco came loose from one truck. The motor is in the center and drives both trucks. It should not be difficult to remove the shell if you have rto go that way.
Is there anything on the bottom of the loco that might be dragging on the track? Do a close visual.
Others may comment.

Rich

McKinley Explorer Ho72

With the body remove the engine only has a front power for the trucks it says Kader 8302 on the filament board on top. It is EMD GP40 Diesel Locomotive

rich1998

This is what the GPr40 is in the diagram page.

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HO_GP40.pdf

It sounds like you bought an older single motor version. The wheels on the other end should spin freely if I am seeing this correctly.
You might have to clean and lubricate the motor. I did a Google search for "Kader 8302 bachmann gp40" and it seems like you loco is an older product. You did say fresh out of the box. Strange. I assumed brand new.

Rich

McKinley Explorer Ho72

Well it is new I I just opened it up but it seems that it must have been old stock at the store my mother and father bought this for me as a gift I've had it probably two years never opened the box! I have found a little rubber looks like a partially broke a ring I'm wondering if these are supposed to be on the drive Wheels not shown in the diagram?

McKinley Explorer Ho72

After looking through the parts I see there's Drive Wheels I believe that that is what's missing off of my locomotive. Yes this was new my parents had it shipped back from Alaska to me when they were out on their trip but it is definitely an older model! :o Thank you Rich  1998 for the info!

rich1998

Looks like, you have new, old stock. Quite old actually. They also had rubber rings on the wheels. No idea how many on the drive side. Not sure Bachmann stocks the rings anymore. Check the Parts page.
Kind of late now but on the Parts repair page you can return the loco for a return with a check. Contact them first.
A few years ago I sent in a two motor 44 ton HO scale with cracked gear. They sent me a new single motor 44 ton.
Well, good luck. Parts department is usually ok.

Rich

McKinley Explorer Ho72

Thank you Rich yes this is really old New Old Stock apparently! I'm sitting here looking at the registration forms and stuff about sending them in I'll have to get ahold of the parts department and see about what it'll cost to have them update this if they will!

rich1998

Look at the Parts, Service and Information page to get an idea. Then click on Service Dept. Information
The HO standard line.
$30.00 -   
All HO and N Scale standard non-DCC locos

I understand a call helps.

Rich

Len

Calumet Trains #505 traction tires fit 99.9% of HO diesels that use traction tires. Including older Bachmann, Tyco, and Model Power diesels. Currently out of stock at Walthers, but supposed to be available again in January. A few other places on-line are showing them as available.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

bbmiroku

Or you can use tiny rubber bands.  (hint: they're the same thing.)

Len

Actually, they're not. Even tiny rubber bands are much more "stretchy" than a traction tire. Which means they are more likely to be thrown under load. If you're friendly with your dentist, and can talk him out of a few, an alternative I've had some luck with is small "retainer" bands. They have less stretch than a small rubber band.

Len

plas man

have a word with Bachmann there should honour the warranty - it could be to your benefit after all it spoilt your Christmas  :(

Len

Traction tires and light bulbs are generally considered "consumables", that eventually have to be replaced, and not covered by warranty.

Len