News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dewitt Clinton stops/starts

Started by GalaxyTrains, January 02, 2019, 11:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalaxyTrains

Okay ... silly question from a newbie train guy ... I recently bought the Dewitt Clinton train set and after a few days of use, it's begun this jerky stop/start action (it's mostly stopped now) .   I suspect it may need lubrication, but not quite sure where to apply.   I read the documentation that came with the train set and it's a bit vague where to apply the EZ Lube.   This thing is so small and delicate, I don't want to ruin it.  Any help would be appreciated.

bbmiroku

First off, check your track.  Chances are there's been a buildup of 'crud' along your rails.  Get a large rubber eraser and start rubbing all your rails until they shine again.  Then look at the wheels on the tender.  There will probably be rings around the wheels from 'crud' build-up.  Take a flathead screwdriver and GENTLY rub it along the wheel.  It may not look like too much is coming off per swipe, but you don't want to damage the wheel and make a flat spot.

But shining the rails should solve most, if not all, of your problem.  I rub my rails every day that they're out, and my DeWitt Clinton has given me a few Christmases of good use so far.

rich1998

I would agree that it is dirty track and not lubrication.  Clean the tender wheels with a Q tip and alcohol.  Not sure how they pickup power. I had this loco many years ago. I never ran very wel and chewed up the plastic worm gear. These timy locos, the motor turned kind of fast and sometimes chewed up the plastic worm gear on quick starts.
The parts page shows a worm on the motor that drives a worm gear on the one tender axle.  I doubt it needs gear oil.  I do not think the other tender axle is driven.
The loco wheels should be free wheeling. as all the cars should be.

Rich