News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Climax Lighting Help

Started by ScottyB, December 26, 2018, 04:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottyB

HO 2 truck Bachmann Climax. It is one of the originals from maybe 15 years that I sent in because of g**r issues. Bachmann sent me a whole new body with the metal gears to bring it up to modern Spectrum standards. Runs beautifully. The issue I have is that regardless of which decoder I put in, which direction it is headed, or how I have the F0 functions programmed, both front and rear lights turn on/off with F0. I.e, there is no directional lighting.

The circuit board in there is labelled H806X+PCB03 Rev-A 2015/04/16.

I've swapped decoders so that isn't it. I've changed F0 function mapping with no luck (other than turning them completely off.) The only thing I notice is that the proper oriented light (forward when going forward and back light when going backward) is slightly brighter than the opposite. So, switching from forward to reverse, the forward light dims very slightly and the back light brightens very slightly. And vice versa. But both lights are on. I would like your basic directional lighting.

Any help (short of just hard wiring the decoder) is greatly appreciated!

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

Ken Huck

I asked this same question a while back and was answered:

"That's the way it's supposed to be."  I don't do DCC so I may just
disconnect the 'rear' light.

HTH
Ken

ScottyB

Hunt

Scott,

What decoder is installed? How do you know?

What are you using to program the decoder? Are you programming on main or programming track?

ScottyB

Presently it is a Lenz Silver decoder, but I tried plugging in a new Digitrax 126 with the exact same results. I program with JMRI and a Sprog 3.

Scott

Hunt

A fellow modeler no long has his Climax that I was going to borrow to see if it had or I could duplicate the same lighting affects you describe.  So far, I have not been able to locate (with convenient access)  a HO scale Bachmann class "B" two truck Climax,  DCC ready model.

If you want to proceed -

Install the Digitrax DH126PS decoder.

Reset the decoder CVs to their default value using CV 8 = 8.

Turn power off and back on

Read the following CVs - what is value of each?

Now ----
Run Climax using address 3.   Are you using JMRI with Sprog 3 to run locomotive or what DCC system?
Detail the headlight and reverse light effect when running the Bachmann Climax forward and when running in reverse.

Bring locomotive to complete stop. -- What is lighting effect of headlight and reverse light when Function Zero – F0 is toggled OFF/ON?

BTW – do you have a DC power pack (which one) and the two 3-pin wire dunny plugs that came installed in the Climax PCB  8-pin socket?

Hunt

Also , what, if any, modifications have been made to the Bachmann  PCB?

ScottyB

Thanks for the help. I am out of town and will do this in a few days! I look forward to the results.

Scott

ScottyB

OK, DH126PS installed and reset.

CV...
7=51
8=129
29=6
33=1
34=2
49=0
50=0
61=0

I've not made any modifications to circuit board. Loco in this configuration runs fwd/bkwd opposite of how it should. (Setting CV29=7 fixes that I'm aware but I've not done so for this example.) Lights work exactly as I describe above... both are lit, though in the direction it is traveling, it is very slightly brighter. Toggling F0 turns both lights on/off. I have run it both on my JMRI/Sprig 3 system and MRC system with the same results. I may or may not have a DC power pack here somewhere.

Thanks for any help!
Scott

ScottyB

In addition to the above, I do wonder... Since I sent this in, they sent me a new mechanism but the original shell. The original Climax shell from 15 years ago had incandescent lighting and the new one - the circuit board that is now in mine - has LED lighting. I wonder if power is going to both lights as it should, but because the new circuit board assumes LED lighting (which is directional of course) that both light up anyway since I have (I think?) incandescents.

That my be it... Just thinking.

Scott

Hunt

Unplug decoder from 8-pin socket on locomotive PCB and rotate 180 plug back in and program CV 29= 6.
  Locomotive now run in correct direction?

What about lights effects now selecting forward and reverse direction of travel?

CV 61 handles lamp - LED vs incandescent but address that once you know what the light is.

ScottyB

OK, did that. Loco runs in correct direction. (As a side note, this results in the decoder being backwards from what the circuit board says. The board section labeled "1" should be the orange wire, which caused it to run backward. Turning it around has the grey wire in the #1 hole.)

But, no lighting at all. None. Forward, backward, F0, F1, every other F#, nothing.

Weird.

ETA -- Putting the decoder back in the right way, and changing CV 29 to 7 puts it back in the correct direction. Changing CV 61 to 1 for lamps has no change in lighting. Same as before. It is certainly possible these are LEDs in here. I'm honestly not sure.

Hunt

Results not what I, or you, expect.

Digitrix DH126PS lighting default setting is directional lighting.

Test the 8-pin socket wiring. Here is how,
Click Here Follow the two procedures in the document (provided by SoundTraxx) to test the 8-pin socket wiring.

Has Bachmann Service directly acknowledged to you a known problem with the locomotive PCB sent to you?

Hunt

Scott,
I have had you spent more time and it has added little to what is in your original post.

It is certain the wiring between the motor and 8-pin socket is wrong.

We know Bachmann's wiring does not support the decoder's lighting effects capability. What we do not know is if it is also wiring mistake or is it is as intended by design?

Your options,

• Run locomotive with both lights On or both lights Off 
  • Remove Bachmann's PCB and hardwire the decoder with needed resistors in light circuits
  • Contact Bachmann Service and see what options you have with Bachmann.

ScottyB

Thanks Hunt! After messing up which pin is which, it passed all those tests. The only combination with resistance is 1 and 5, which is should be since those are the motor leads. All other combinations show good (no resistance.)

So, I'm stumped. I'm not sure where to go from here unless I just want to hard wire it. Project for another time.

Your help has been greatly appreciated!

Scott