News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ DCC Command and Sound?

Started by tonycook1966, December 15, 2007, 04:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonycook1966

Will Bachmann's EZ DCC Command (44902) control sound equipped locos?  I see the number keys (1-10), but do they control sound functions like Horn, Bell, etc. as those number keys would on say a Digitrax Zephyr throttle?

I have a friend who wants to install sound in a loco and asked whether his Bachmann EZ DCC Command would be able to control the sound?

Thanks,

Tony
Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
ho-scaletrains.net

grumpy

The answer is yes , but only one loco at a time . The power supply is not big enough for more than one loco. There are some loco's whose sound and dcc control current draw is more than the contoller and 1 amp power supply can supply.What I have done is wired in a 3 amp Aristocraft power supply . The cost of the Bachman booster is more than the cost of a whole
Digitrax Zephyr. I don't know what Bachman's plan was but maybe Mr. Bachman can give us an answer. Don

the Bach-man

Dear Tony,
I've run multiple sound locos with no problem. Hit the address button for the loco, let's say #5, then press "FUNCTION", and you can control the seven sound functions on our decoders. As Don says, you can only blow the whistle on one loco at a time, but they'll all keep chugging away.
Happy Holidays!
the Bach-man

grumpy

Let me expand on the sound control with the Bachman EZ Command. I purchased a set of Athern Genesis F3A with DCC and Sound. Together on the track they would shut the system down - no sound no movement . I checked them out on a friends layout and they worked fine .Individually they worked fine with my EZ command.After I increased the power they would run fine . I am running them with same address because that was the intention when purchased. I am also running an Athern Challenger with DCC and sound.some of the functions don't match the standard eg. function #8 which should turn of the sound but turns on the whistle and horn at the same time . Is it the loco or the EZ Command.A comment from Mr. Bachman would be appreciated.
Don

tonycook1966

Quote from: the Bach-man on December 15, 2007, 10:30:32 PM
Dear Tony,
I've run multiple sound locos with no problem. Hit the address button for the loco, let's say #5, then press "FUNCTION", and you can control the seven sound functions on our decoders. As Don says, you can only blow the whistle on one loco at a time, but they'll all keep chugging away.
Happy Holidays!
the Bach-man

On this throttle which is the FUNCTION button?  I see STOP, LIGHT and DIRECTION ARROWS, but I'm not understanding which button serves as FUNCTION?

Thanks
Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
ho-scaletrains.net

kevin2083

Quote from: tonycook1966 on December 16, 2007, 11:53:48 AM

On this throttle which is the FUNCTION button?  I see STOP, LIGHT and DIRECTION ARROWS, but I'm not understanding which button serves as FUNCTION?

Thanks

That would be the yellow button. The LED next to the adress for the selected loco will blink in 'function' mode.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

the Bach-man

Dear Don,
I have no experience with Athearn F Units, so I will accept your statement that they draw more than the EZ Command provides. Perhaps Jim Banner or one of the other DCC mavins will have more insight.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

The Old Man

If you plug in the walk around unit can you control two trains' sounds?

grumpy

keystone

Well. this thread answered my question elsewhere if sound could be controlled on the E Z system. One sound at a time is fine for me, I thought I was going to settle for motor noise only. great information !

amatore

Can someone explain how you can wire additional power to kick it up a couple of amps?

prebres

You have to wire a booster between the EZ Com and the track. The Output from the EzCom goes into the booster. The booster does it's thing, i.e. boosting the signal and current. The output of the booster goes to the track.

grumpy

you can increase the power by increasing your power supply. The EZ Command comes with 1 amp. the same power supply that comes with DC kits. I got a Digitrax  3 amp power supply from a friend and plugged it in . It worked just great.
Don

Go Big1

I have a question regarding EZ Command and sound that is related, that maybe Bach-mann can answer.
If I install an MRC decoder into a DCC ready loco (say an Athearn GP35), that decoder will have the following functions:
F Key Steam
Idle / Moving  Diesel
Idle / Moving
F0 Sound on/off-Lights* Sound on/off-Lights*
F1 Bell on-off Bell on-off
F2 Whistle  Horn
F3 Air Release Air Release
F4 Coupling Coupling
F5 Brake Squeal Brake Release/ Braked Squeal
F6 Conductor / Rail Click Dynamic Brake
F7 Fire Box Door Air Hose Firing
F8 Air Exhaust Coupling bar or notch down
F9 Flange Squeal Exhaust or notch up
F10 Water  Rail Click (when moving)
F11 Blower Hiss Air compressor
F12 Chuff on-off for drifting Engine Cooling Fan
F13 Coal Auger Cab Door Closing
F14 Coupling Fire Coupling Crash
F15 Sand Drop Air Pump
F16 Shoveling (coal?) Safety Pop Valve 
F17 Short Air Release Short Air Release
F18 Injector Change Bell Type
F19 Whistle Select Horn Type Select

With only 10 buttons on the EZ Command, do you basically get to use the first 10 functions, or is there a way to program which 10 you want?  Basically is there any way to program the EZ Command to make the F11 to F19 sounds???

westsidelumber12

Athearn F unit are crap and make your blood pressure go up, don't even get me started............lol
Santa Fe ALL The Way

Its true....