News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann DCC with dual mode

Started by Mic Ado, January 03, 2019, 08:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mic Ado

I'm wanting to buy a Bachmann 0-4-2 Porter , but can only find DCC with a NMRA Dual Mode decoder.
As I run only DC analog , are these new Bachmann Locomotives able to run successfully on stranded DC ?
I assume dual mode means either DC or DCC .I read on line, most guys yes but  don't run very well .
So I guess theis as a question for the "Back Man" administer.

Len

The dual mode decoder will operate on straight DC, but due to the voltage lost through the decoder the throttle setting will generally be higher than for a straight DC loco. You could remove the decoder and hardwire the track and motor connections. The lights are LEDs, so you'll need a dropping resister for them, and a couple of diodes if you want directional lighting.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Mic Ado

Voltage loss is OK , but will the loco run at slow creeping speeds ?
My power packs are MRC Railpower 1370 that run two other DC Bachman Mogals very slow.

efehser

If you only run DC, your best bet is to remove the decoder entirely. You will have more and better control over the loco. Unfortunately the Porter is so small that the factory decoder is hardwired, and thus surgery is needed. Most other locos you would just unplug and install a jumper. Bachmann does have a wiring diagram for the Porter, showing what wire is what, if you feel able to take on that task, https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/On30%200-4-2%20Porter_Both%20DCC-%20and%20DCC%20Sound-Equpped.pdf. Or, now that I have finally run it, I find that DCC makes for a much more pleasant setup and run with my trains, and can be very easy to install.

dutchbuilder

And to make things even more challenging , all wires are Black.
If that's no problem , if you have a multimeter then it can be done.
As an alternative, why not look for an older DC only Porter and sell this one.
Saves you al lot of hassle.

Ton

rich1998

This might be a little old. I recently saw a couple On30 Porters at Amazon. They look like they are DC. One was no labels. Go search Amazon for On30 Porter.

Rich

Mic Ado

An update to my original question. I called a Bachmann repair tech and was told DCC works fine on DC
analoge, no mods needed. So I bought a new 4-6-0 Ten Wheeler , placed it on my layout........
perfect running machine. The MRC 1370 transformers I have, allowed the loco to creep very very slowly
and as voltage is increased the speed steps are very prototypical.
The DCC loco must be totally separate from standard DC locos to avoid any damage to the decoder on board.
;D

Mic Ado

The 4-6-0 did not have a operators manual inclosed. Where do I get one ?
Also it came with extra parts, as optional changes, smock stack, fuel loads, cow catcher etc, but there is
an envelop containing  a brown powder substance ... what is that ?

dutchbuilder