DCC - can't change my new engine from #3 to desired # 26

Started by Copperline, January 04, 2019, 10:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Copperline

I have a new Bachman 4-4-0 - and i can't change the decoder.. My club uses NCE power pro.. tried to change to # 26.. and decoder would not accept - had to toggle " reset to factory to get back to # 3
So how do I accomplish the  decoder re-address??   Thanks

rich1998

I have done Bachmann 4-4-0 and 4-6-0 at the club some years ago. They had the five amp power pro. I used the program track. Cycled track power and the new number worked. The lights flashed sixteen times I just followed the manual.
Did the same at home with my Power Cab and the program track option.
Just remembered, my locos had Tsunami Micro decoders. They are easy.
Not sure what else is not happening yet.

Rich

pleiku

It may be that someone else has already used that number. You might want to try 260 or 2600 just for command purposes.

Hunt

Quote from: pleiku on January 04, 2019, 05:34:08 PM
It may be that someone else has already used that number. You might want to try 260 or 2600 just for command purposes.

The presence of other locomotives with address 26 does not prevent programming this locomotive to address 26.

Hunt

Assume you have a HO Bachmann 4-4-0 with factory installed Sound Value decoder.

Reset the decoder
Resetting the sound decoder CVs to their factory default value is a two-step procedure.

1)  Program 8 to CV 8 (can use either PROGRAM ON MAIN or USE PROGRAM TRK  Mode programming)
   2)  Cycle power to the decoder by turning power to the track off and back on **

After about six-seconds upon restoring power the headlight will blink 16 times indicating that the CVs were successfully reset. However, if sound or light come on immediately upon restoring power, the decoder did not successfully reset. Repeat the two-step procedure.

** Alternate method to turning power off and back on to track.
Carefully tilt locomotive and tender to the side until all wheels loose contact with one rail. Hold the tilted position for at least 30 seconds so all capacitors have time to drain. Now lower locomotive and tender back to normal position on rail.

What is affecting address programming – Address Type Restriction

Programming Sound Value decoder address using NCE PROGRAM ON MAIN   mode
When using PROGRAM ON MAIN   the Sound Value decoder does not allow changing the type of address currently in use. In other words, the decoder will ignore a change from a short address to another short address or from a long address to another long address. So programming 3 to 26 is ignored by the decoder.

Following is the workaround to the decoder's address type restriction when using PROGRAM ON MAIN.
If you can run the locomotive using short address  3, then with the locomotive not moving  select  PROGRAM ON MAIN   and follow the NCE Power PRO  instructions to program address 3 to address 1000 or any long address not on the track.

Once programmed, if you can run the locomotive using address 1000, then with the locomotive not moving select PROGRAM ON MAIN   programming mode and program address 1000 to the short address 26 you want.

The address type restriction is not applicable when programming USE PROGRAM TRK mode is used.
To program a Sound Value decoder address using NCE select USE PROGAM TRK mode,  follow the instructions to program address 3 to address 26. If decoder will not program using the clubs NCE system then in absence of other problems  cycle power to the locomotive if that does not work  a SoundTraxx  PTB-100 Programming Track Booster is needed.

An aside ---  DO NOT use a PTB-100 with NCE Power Cab dcc system.

plas man

try addressing with Bachmann controller -(it will work with other makes of controller using that address)

Hunt

Quote from: plas man on January 06, 2019, 02:23:58 PM
try addressing with Bachmann controller -(it will work with other makes of controller using that address)

plas man,

If you have in mind the  Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center  -- It cannot be used to program a decoder  address to 26.

ScottyB

On older decoders, it was necessary to change from a short address to a long one, then back to a short one. Might be worth a try.

So change from 3 to say, 3000, then to 26.

I hope that works for you. Let me know.

Scott

ETA Ah, I see Hunt mentioned the same thing. There's your answer!
On30 for me, N scale for my son.