DCC EZ Track Turnouts reset if Programming Loco on the Main

Started by RBDNHM, January 05, 2019, 12:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RBDNHM

Each time I program a locomotive decoder on the main, it resets the turnouts or clears their programming so I have to reprogram the turnouts. This happens regardless of address of the locomotive I try to program. Is there a way to avoid this, other than not programming on the main? I have the set of turnouts set to accessory adress 3 to use a siding.

NCE Power Cab
JMRI
USB interface

rich1998

The best I can do is point you to the manual for the turnouts. Scroll to the bottom. t think this is what you have. Not something I understand.

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ez_content/EZ_Command_DCC_Turnout_Instructions.pdf

Rich

RBDNHM

Thank you for the reply.  I have found many sources, especially NCE focused, suggesting how to program these turnouts, but programming has not been the issue.  Until I program on the main, the turnouts work fine at accessory address 3. As soon as I try programming a loco on the main, the turnouts forget their address and reset (or something) themselves.  I am trying to find out how to make sure the turnout programming "sticks."  Something is not working right after programming the turnout, when I try programming on the main.

Len

You might find this info from the NCE web site useful:
https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201504015-Bachmann-E-Z-Command-decoder-equipped-Turnout

The Power Cab manual referenced above can be found here:
https://www.dccconcepts.com/manual/nce-owners-manual-powercab-handset/

From other sites it looks like the turnouts have to be put in program mode and programed on the main using 'PROG 7' first. After being programmed and taken out of program mode, locos can then be programmed on the main using 'PROG 1' without affecting the turnouts. There appears to be an unresolved issue of the turnouts losing their programing if powered off for an extended period, then being repowered. In which case they have to be reprogrammed.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

RBDNHM

NCE prog 7 asks for specific cv's to program, and I am unable to figure out what cv addresses the turnouts recognize or use. I can not find a separate NMRA DCC accessory standard.  Is it the same standard that applies to mobile decoders?

There is an article by Mark Gurries that I follow to program the turnouts.  His programming guidelines work fine with the turnouts, for a while.  Then either, as mentioned in your post, after power is shut down overnight, or if I program a loco on the main, the turnouts lose their settings/programming and fail to respond. I have tried again and turnouts responded to NCE Power Cab, JMRI turnout control, and WiThrottle turnout control.  I have shut the power down and will try programming on the main again either later today or tomorrow.  I am not optimistic,  because I have applied very close to  this set of conditions before and the programming on the main still created a problem.

I think the loss of programming Len mentions is related to the loss of programming when programming on the main. 

Do these turnouts follow the NMRA DCC standard of CV's being stored in non-volatile memory?

Do they store CV's?

What are the available CV's?

Len

Accessory decoder CVs can be found on page 9 of this NMRA document:
https://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/standards/sandrp/pdf/s-9.2.2_decoder_cvs_2012.07.pdf

No idea what, if anything, Bachmann supports beyond the CV1 address in their turnouts. Especially in the "Manufacturer Unique" areas.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hunt

Quote from: RBDNHM on January 05, 2019, 12:05:30 PM
Each time I program a locomotive decoder on the main, it resets the turnouts or clears their programming so I have to reprogram the turnouts. This happens regardless of address of the locomotive I try to program. Is there a way to avoid this, other than not programming on the main? I have the set of turnouts set to accessory adress 3 to use a siding.

NCE Power Cab
JMRI
USB interface

What you describe is a known issue to Bachmann that came to light with the first production run of their HO DCC decoder equipped turnouts.  You are going to have to contact Bachmann Service Department.