Did the earliest B'mn LS Shays have chuff contacts in the cylinders?

Started by DennisBT, January 07, 2019, 01:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisBT

Subject says it all, mostly.  I have one of the earliest Shays and am just rebuilding it.  If it has chuff contacts anywhere I haven't found them yet.  Anyone know?  Thanks, Dennis

Joe Zullo

Quote from: DennisBT on January 07, 2019, 01:20:11 AM
Subject says it all, mostly.  I have one of the earliest Shays and am just rebuilding it.  If it has chuff contacts anywhere I haven't found them yet.  Anyone know?  Thanks, Dennis
Did you remove the cylinder assembly and look at the backside, top ? That is where they should be.

DennisBT

Thank you.  No.  That's next.  I thought if someone knew ahead of that, I'd save parts removal.  It's not that I can't disassemble things, but the dry screws and how tight Bachmann installs them always leaves the possibility of cracking something.  Once out, a little care and lube, they're better later.  (Which reminds me, I wonder what kind of screw lube everyone uses, if any?  I use a tiny drop of something plactic compatible. 

DennisBT

Answered my own question.  I have one I purchased in 1998.  Incandescent headlight bulb.  8 screw plastic trucks.  Does have chuff contacts.

Greg Elmassian

Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

DennisBT

Thanks.  I've had new trucks sitting here for some time now.  I think the most interesting, (and frustrating), detail so far I've described in my other post here.  No need to type it twice I guess.
Great info here;  thank you all.