News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

G Scale Spectrum

Started by wasmith34, January 07, 2019, 01:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wasmith34

I have a broken drive gear (for the second time) and have been advised that the replacement part will no longer be made.  Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, how did you solve it.

StanAmes

I have found that sometimes the Bachmann online store has things that are out of stock.

Try ordering the following

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_142&products_id=10285&zenid=mpsh94vi5sg22e9igmleikbjf4

This is the Axle and Gear for the 2-8-0

An alternative is a gear made by NWSL.  If you can not get the Bachmann gear I have several of the NWSL gears I will not be using.  If interested send me a message offline.

Stan

Joe Zullo

From the original post, how on Earth did you determine which Spectrum loco wasmith34 has? You must have psychic powers!  ???

armorsmith

I was wondering the same thing. I have replaced the gears in two and have a third Connie to do. I have an Industrial Mogul with a bad gear I have not had time to tear into. I am going to try to find a replacement metal gear at WM Berg or SDPI.

wasmith34

Sorry, I have the 4-4-0 version.  I am working on a plan to create a new gear but if I can get one without doing so I will do that.

StanAmes

Sorry  read your original message wrong.  Please call service and ask for a 2017 2-6-0 Motor gear box and axle.  I am not sure it is still in stock or not but worth a try.

The 2017 drive has metal gears.

Stan

Loco Bill Canelos

If You are unable to get the gearbox Stan mentioned then checkout the link below.  I am unable to change or update the information because the topic is locked. However my solution was to get the NWSL gear mentioned in the topic.  It has stood up since I used one to fix mine.

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,19904.0.html

Double check with NWSL on the prices since the article was written in 2012.  Northwest Shortline Brand Gear part No.  2223-6 for the Fn3 Bachmann 4-4-0, 24 tooth.

Here is NWSL link:  http://www.nwsl.com/nwsl-online-catalog.html

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

wasmith34

I ordered the gear/axle that Stan mentioned, the picture that appears on the website indicates that the axle is not exactly the same as for the 4-4-0, but it looks like it will do the job anyway.  We shall see when it arrives.  Thanks.

Wayne

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Wayne,

Can you post a link to the part you bought?

When you are done making the fix with the part, would you please let us know how it went??

Thanks, Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

wasmith34

Quote from: Loco Bill Canelos on January 09, 2019, 10:57:03 AM
Hi Wayne,

Can you post a link to the part you bought?

When you are done making the fix with the part, would you please let us know how it went??

Thanks, Bill
Quote from: StanAmes on January 07, 2019, 06:07:11 PM
I have found that sometimes the Bachmann online store has things that are out of stock.

Try ordering the following

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_142&products_id=10285&zenid=mpsh94vi5sg22e9igmleikbjf4

This is the Axle and Gear for the 2-8-0

An alternative is a gear made by NWSL.  If you can not get the Bachmann gear I have several of the NWSL gears I will not be using.  If interested send me a message offline.

Stan

StanAmes

Wayne

That is the Axle for the LS  2-8-0  It will not work in the LS 4-4-0  For the 4-4-0 you need the Motor, gearbox, and axle for the 2017 2-6-0

Stan

wasmith34

True, that axle does not work but I only wanted the brass gear anyway so I got it and mounted it on the 4-4-0 axle that I have and it is fine.

Dr Who 12

Hi all it has been a while since I have  visited the forum but this post about gears for the 4-4-0 spectrum has interested me.
I have a 4-4-0 and a 2-6-0 spectrum loco the 4-4-0 has metal drive gears and the 2-6-0 has plastic drive gears. The axel in the 2-6-0 is like the axel in the Bachman parts list with the D shaped axel/gear design not the spline shaft so the NWSL gear won't work ( I called them and they didn't know Bachmann had changed the design) I bought a replacement gear before I tore the loco apart to discover the different gear axel arrangement. I did buy 3 replacement gear/axels just because of the reported gear failures.
Now my question is will the metal gear from a 2-8-0 axel work on the D shaped axel of my 2-6-0? If not at least I have a replacement if mine should fail. The axel/gear replacement from Bachmann is sold out. Also what shape is the axel on my 4-4-0 splined or D shaped I don't want to have to dissamble the loco to find out if I don't have to.

Any help with my question is most apreciated.

Dr Who 12