News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-4-0 american #51002

Started by indian_hills_r_r, January 06, 2019, 08:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indian_hills_r_r

just got a #51002 4-4-0 American that's dcc ready. from I can find the pcb board is in the tender. does the "Bachmann" or anyone where I can find some instructions or tell me how to remove the tender shell. I have went though all the enclosed paper work of the exploded views but nothing about how to remove shells

rich1998

Two screws should be at the front of the tender under. You might have to swivel the truck a little to see the screws. Lift the front of the shell. Been some time since I opened mine. Some Bachmann tenders are like that, Screws hidden.
I just looked at a photo of the tender frame in the parts list.

Rich

indian_hills_r_r

rich1998

You are welcome. If the diagrams are not completely helpful, sometimes the parts list are useful. Maybe searching the forums can help.
One fellow here has suggestions for more pickups on the tender wheels. minky is his name. I did it about ten years ago when I converted mine to DCC along with a 1855 Mantua General tender drive.

Rich

indian_hills_r_r

this unit is suppose to be the new tooling. I could be wrong. there is no driveshaft from the tender to the loco like there is on a couple of my older units. which someday I may covert to dcc. another future project. it has pickups on the tender.

rich1998

Quote from: indian_hills_r_r on January 10, 2019, 09:58:38 PM
this unit is suppose to be the new tooling. I could be wrong. there is no driveshaft from the tender to the loco like there is on a couple of my older units. which someday I may covert to dcc. another future project. it has pickups on the tender.

Yes it is new tooling but no mention of a drive shaft. Harold did mention improving pickups on the DCC tender.

Rich

indian_hills_r_r

I got the tender cover off installed my test  decoder and off it went. runs good. has a little grinding noise but think with some lube it will be ok. now I will decide if I want sound or not.

thanks for the help

rich1998

I just looked at the diagram. A worm on the motor drives a worm gear on an intermediate drive shat with a spur gear that drives a spur gear on a driver shaft.
Look below for improved pickups on the tender.

http://www.chainsawjunction.com/1879/nt_440/wipers/

I used a SoundTraxx Tsunami Micro some years ago in some Bachmann $4-4-0 larger HO steamers. Today SoundTraxx sells one slightly smaller that might fit in your tender. I looked in the Parts section but did not see anything for your loco.
Measure with a dial caliper for speaker. Dial calipers can be bought for about ten to fifteen at Micro Mark. I have one I bought many years ago to build a few gear boxes for a few locos.
SoundTraxx shows specs for speakers and decoders.
I searched the SoundTraxx decoder selector page but did not see anything for the Amercan 4-4-0.

Rich