News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Multi-Block Wiring Using EZ Track

Started by BobZ, January 11, 2019, 11:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobZ

I've built a large HO layout (12 x 16 U-shaped) using EZ Track. I didn't want to use the Power Terminal track due to cost so I've had to solder all the power/siding leads. Right now I've got 20 individual blocks plus 1 reversing  loop. Soldering track connections is not my expertise. Some are pretty good/ok others are not ok, a few plastic ties melted, etc. It would be great if Bachmann had a low cost track power connection similar to other brands, Atlas comes to mind, that would allow the wire to be screwed to the track. I tried using the pre-soldered track connectors but the wire was so thin it would break very easily. Just a suggestion.

Thanks

Trainman203

When soldering onto rails put a heat sink, like a binder clip alligator clip or something similar, on either  side of the work.  That helps the tie melting thing.

RBDNHM

The Atlas wired joiners I used (maybe 8 pairs) on my EZ Track layout, with 4 terminal/rerailers. The Atlas wired joiners seem to have worked fine; I think I broke one of the Atlas joiner/wires trying to slide it on to the EZ Track. It is a little hard to slide them in some sections but they do work.

rich1998

I have never tried soldering to Bachmann track.
When I solder feeders to Atlas track, I first cleaned a spot with a Micro Mark scratch brush. The with a Weller soldering station at 75 percent heat, wedge type soldering that has a plated tip. A dab of rosin flux and it it with rosin flux solder. Clean after with alcohol. The spot has to be smooth and shiny, Not rough.
One thing to remember, good soldering is an acquired art. No other way. Practicing on scrap material.

Rich