News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My S4

Started by CV62, January 11, 2019, 09:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CV62

A friend gave me his Bachmann S4 saying he could never get it to run right. Very jerky performance and stalls.  I checked it out and it seems that even though the front trucks are picking up power from the rails, that power is not being processed by the decoder.  I notice there are a pair of wires that go to the decoder from each of the trucks.  The little copper wipers are picking up power off the wheels and power is going to the decoder, I have confirmed that.  Seems to me the decoder is defective and not processing the power from the front trucks.

My questions.  One, am i missing something in my trouble shooting?  Two, if the decoded is bad, are replacement decoders available and is it cost effective to do so or just replace the loco.

Thank you CV62

CV62

CV62

spookshow

How are you determining that the truck is picking up current but the decoder isn't receiving it? Seems unlikely.

-Mark

CV62

Quote from: spookshow on January 14, 2019, 07:08:39 AM
How are you determining that the truck is picking up current but the decoder isn't receiving it? Seems unlikely.

-Mark

Continuity check from the wheels to the decoder.  Both sides read continuity.  If I have a complete circuit from the wheels to the point the wires attach to the decoder, then I must have power to the decoder.   I do not own an instrument that reads DCC voltage.  Checked out and cleaned the wheels and wipers and they are making good contact with the wheels.

Bachmann tried to help but in the end they told me to send it in along with a check for 40 bucks they will fix it.  As this is only DCC without sound I can buy a new one for 60 or so. 

I would say the decoder is receiving power, it is just not processing it.