Norfolk and Western J series locomotive

Started by RedlegJim, January 12, 2019, 10:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedlegJim

I recently purchased an old Bachmann DC version of the N&W J series engines. I think it's about 20 years old and in good condition. I tested it on my track and the engine appears to be running - I can hear the motor turning. However, the drive wheels do not move at all so the engine is not moving. Is there info on site at Bachmann or elsewhere that has trouble shooting and maintenance info including disassembly if necessary?

Hunt

If HO scale
Click Here for what is available from Bachmann Parts. But check with Bachmann Service to determine if anything available from Parts can be used with the locomotive you have.

rich1998

Have you opened the loco? Not sure when Bachmann went from pancake motor to can motor.
The diagram shows a can motor with a worm that drives a worm gear. Two more gears after.
"Maybe" a cracked gear.
If a pancake motor, another issue. The pancake motor will be obvious. The can motor will be also.
No short if the power pack did not shut down.

Bachmann does have a Repair and Replacement option. You could cal the service department. You want to make sure they replace with the same type of loco if they have one.
They have replaced a loco for me. It cracked a gear while I was running it. Got it from ebay for a few dollars. Check the page.
Good luck.

Rich

Trainman203

Model locomotives are sort of like old cars.  At some point they start breaking down part by part until you end up basically rebuilding it for a lot more expense and aggravation than just getting a new one. 

No one can tell you where that point is but it took me a while to understand it. I spent a bundle trying to fix a couple of decapods when for a lot less I could have bought used ones in an on line auction to get the working mechanism, and as a bonus had a spare tender and a boiler shell for parts.... not to mention many pieces from the old mechanism that were still good.

I'm not telling you to do this, I'm only letting you know about this option.

ACY

Quote from: rich1998 on January 12, 2019, 01:44:14 PM
Bachmann does have a Repair and Replacement option. You could cal the service department. You want to make sure they replace with the same type of loco if they have one.
He could potentially get a replacement locomotive but it won't be a new N&W J, it more than likely will be a selection of some of the more cost effective locomotives. Most likely an analog DC diesel or trolley.
The new J with sound is much too expensive, compared to the cost of the old J he bought used, so it wouldn't really be an even swap.