News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Fixing both Climaxs

Started by VTBob, January 12, 2019, 10:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTBob

So I'm going to try my hand at repairing the 2 climaxes that i have, but I want to ask for advice on what parts I need to order from the parts dept..

1. DCC-No Sound 3 truck Climax: It moves 3/4ters of a revolution on the outside valve train before jamming up. When placed in reverse, the same thing happens. Would this be the "Driveline to the cylinders" gearbox piece? Link is: https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_153&products_id=10180&zenid=qs7qijkjusg0p6jn1b9dhkc420

2. Original run 2 truck Climax: cylinders runs great, however unit doesn't move at all. Shaft going to the trucks doesn't move, front or back, however when fed with a 9V battery upside-down, the shaft in the gearbox is indeed turning, however the wheels/trucks aren't. Would this be the truck gearing, or the universal assemblies cracked? Would it be better to purchase a pair of assembled trucks, or is it an easier task to fix?

Thanks, & I've finally got my workshop back together so I can repair my equipment once again.

VTBob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

ScottyB

With mine, I started by doing both trucks but the problem was with the internal gears. Bachmann recommended I just send the whole thing in. They fixed it up nice, it runs like a swiss watch now, except for the lighting issues I detail in another thread.

I recommend calling the service department as they will guide you as to which approach to take.

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

VTBob

I did call the service dept, but they told me I was long out of warranty, & so that I might be better off fixing them myself, or if I sent them in, then they couldn't guarantee that I'd be getting either of them back. I might end up with yet another 3 truck shay instead.  I'm fairly mechanically inclined, having been an auto mechanic for the last 20yrs, & so thought I'll take a whack at fixing them myself. I just want to know if anyone's had the same issues as I am, & if so what parts to replace.

Thanks,
VTBob
R. Montanye

Hunt

VTBob,

You are going to have to make your own best assessment. To provide a useable answer for 'just what is needed' is not possible without hands-on breakdown examination of each locomotive. 

Trainman203

I don't have any geared Bachmann locomotives but from reading this forum for several years it seems that the big flaw in these beautifully detailed plastic engines is that much of the mechanism is plastic also, of a composition that is not very hardy.

I just finished talking about this in detail in a Norfolk and Western J thread.  A used replacement engine might be the best course.  Or getting one that runs good but is bad cosmetically to salvage parts from.

ebtnut

In may case there were cracked gears in two of the three trucks.  I ordered the complete set of replacement trucks with metal gears from Bachmann.  IIRC, they were about $33 each.  Your description of the issue mirrors what mine was doing. 

VTBob

Quote from: ebtnut on January 15, 2019, 10:29:19 AM
In may case there were cracked gears in two of the three trucks.  I ordered the complete set of replacement trucks with metal gears from Bachmann.  IIRC, they were about $33 each.  Your description of the issue mirrors what mine was doing. 

In your 2 or 3truck one? I suspect the trucks are the problem in the 2 truck, but not the 3truck (they're still all tight, so I suspect the 3truck lockup is in the gearbox itself)

VTBob
R. Montanye

ebtnut

Note that I did say "two of the three trucks", so it is a three-trucker.

ScottyB

I'm surprised as Bachmann has a lifetime warranty and I sent mine in less than a year ago.

Second, I had a two truck climax and ordered those same "metal gear" trucks. While those were great, it didn't fix the problem. When I called technical support they said that the problem is internal and to ship it to them. I believe they replaced it with one of the new metal gear Spectrum shells and because I already ordered the trucks, they did it for a minimal fee.

So start with the trucks but be aware it may not fix your problem.

Good luck!
Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

VTBob

I get paid tomorrow, so I can finally order in some new parts. My 2 truck has been in the backshop for a very long time (timeframe was 10months after they first got released until, well, now I guess)

VTBob
R. Montanye

VTBob

so I got a pair of trucks (metal geared for the 50T Climax). Got both drive line shafts & a cylinders w/metal gearing. The one gearing I didn't get was this one:
https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=10184&zenid=qs7qijkjusg0p6jn1b9dhkc420

Does anyone know when it might be back in stock? It's the one gearing I didn't order for the 70T because they were out.

Thanks,
VTBob
R. Montanye

VTBob

Well, I replaced the tucks, & the center drive lines (jeweler's loops are great) but the problem is the the main gearbox drive line, which seems to be perpetually out of stock.

Is there an ETA when the drive lines might be back in stock?

Thanks,
VTBob

PS: This is the link to the gearbox part:
https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=10184&zenid=qs7qijkjusg0p6jn1b9dhkc420
R. Montanye

Geared Steam

https://shop.osorail.com/product.sc?productId=3423&categoryId=-1

For those that have the gear and need assistance in replacing it, feel free to view my instruction at the link below. Its not professionally produced as I was doing it while repairing my own.
(this is a non-monetary blog by me to help the modeling community)

http://gearedsteam.blogspot.com/2017/12/bachmann-ho-scale-climax-disassembly.html

VTBob

is that just the gear itself, or the gear & driveshaft like the one pictured on the bachmann site?

Thanks,
VTBob
R. Montanye