News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO scale RS3 withh DCC on board

Started by Gearedloco, January 13, 2019, 12:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearedloco

Recently acquired this loco. It does not start moving until the speed potentiometer is turned up to about 8. Is there a CV that I can change to get it to start moving sooner

rich1998

Welcome,
That sounds like you are running a decoder equipped loco on a power pack. Normal. It is in the instructions. It does say something like turning up a little higher in the analog mode.
Details, the microprocessor on the decoder requires five volts DC just to wake up. maybe two or three volts more for the decoder to tell rthe loco to begin to move. Many have noticed that.

Rich

Len

If it's the DCC on board, and not the 'SoundValue', RS3 it uses an 8-pin socket for the decoder. You can replace the decoder with an 8-pin dummy plug and operate straight DC without the voltage loss you're experiencing.

Dummy plug wiring looks like this compared to the decoder wiring:

There may be two pieces of metal in the box, with three prongs on each. If so, they can be used to jumper the socket in the upper and lower corners as shown in the diagram.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rich1998

That is definitely a better option. I forgot about it. All my Bachmann locos came with the two metal clips but I never used them and forgot about them. It does sound like yours might have the eight pin socket with a EZ Command decoder plugged in.
Below should be your loco from the diagram page.

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HO%20RS3_DCC%20EQUPPED.pdf

Rich

Gearedloco

I am running this unit with an MRC prodigy Elite DCC system. I have another  Bachmann  RS3 and it starts moving as soon as you engage the throttle . So I was wondering if its a programming issue with the start voltage setting or what the CV would be and the setting range.

Hunt

When using DCC, CV 2 – Starting Voltage, is changed to make the adjustment you want.

Click Here for the decoder in the RS3 info . Refer to chart on second sheet

Hunt

Quote from: Hunt on January 13, 2019, 03:57:45 PM
When using DCC, CV 2 – Starting Voltage, is changed to make the adjustment you want.

Click Here for the decoder in the RS3 info . Refer to chart on second sheet

Suggest you first reset all the decoder's CVs, enter 8 to CV 8.

Gearedloco