STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2019, 09:01:20 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  HO GP40 Motors
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HO GP40 Motors  (Read 188 times)
PrairieDub

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2019, 12:14:28 PM »

What is the difference between HO GP40 motor with resistors Part # 63525 and without resistors Part # 63525-1?

Thanks!
rich1998

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 01:25:26 PM »

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_185&products_id=1295

Although they are called resistors, they are ferrite inductors, or called chokes. All Bachmann DCC locos come with them. Mime did. Some had wire wound inductors.
Good spotting.
They are 4.7 Microhenry (ÁH) chokes, inductors that form a tuned circuit to satisfy the UK and EU. Bachmann sells may DCC locos other that side of the Pond. Check the colored stripes on the Internet.  They filyer out a frequency, frequencies.
I have a LRC meter and it measured the inductance also. They have no resistance.
The person who labeled the page had no idea. Many modelers have no idea either. I have seen this in other forums.
Many rip them out and solder in a piece of wire.
Rip out the caps as the inductors have no resistance and are a moot point. With a quality decoder, the BEMF affects slow speed.

Rich
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 05:04:37 PM by rich1998 » Logged
PrairieDub

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 03:05:19 PM »

Thanks for the information.

Electronics isn't my area of expertise, but it's good to know why the wiring is like it is, and what purpose it serves.

I've got another post called "HO GP40 Motor Constant Screeching"...do you have any idea what might be causing the screeching?
rich1998

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 04:54:15 PM »

It does sound like a mechanical issue looking at the discussion. Screeching sounds unusual but I guess the OP's definition of what he is hearing.

Rich
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:56:19 PM by rich1998 » Logged
rich1998

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 05:05:14 PM »

here is a little on the caps and inductors that most miss in the Bachmann site.
Mark has a lot of good info about DCC you should keep. Bookmark the URL.

https://sites.google.com/site/markgurries/home/technical-discussions/decoder-motor-drive/motor-capacitors/bachmann-engines

One time in a search, I found a couple forums in the UK that said, keep those devices in place, "over there".

Rich

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: