News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO GP40 Motors

Started by PrairieDub, January 14, 2019, 11:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrairieDub

What is the difference between HO GP40 motor with resistors Part # 63525 and without resistors Part # 63525-1?

Thanks!

rich1998

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_185&products_id=1295

Although they are called resistors, they are ferrite inductors, or called chokes. All Bachmann DCC locos come with them. Mime did. Some had wire wound inductors.
Good spotting.
They are 4.7 Microhenry (µH) chokes, inductors that form a tuned circuit to satisfy the UK and EU. Bachmann sells may DCC locos other that side of the Pond. Check the colored stripes on the Internet.  They filyer out a frequency, frequencies.
I have a LRC meter and it measured the inductance also. They have no resistance.
The person who labeled the page had no idea. Many modelers have no idea either. I have seen this in other forums.
Many rip them out and solder in a piece of wire.
Rip out the caps as the inductors have no resistance and are a moot point. With a quality decoder, the BEMF affects slow speed.

Rich

PrairieDub

Thanks for the information.

Electronics isn't my area of expertise, but it's good to know why the wiring is like it is, and what purpose it serves.

I've got another post called "HO GP40 Motor Constant Screeching"...do you have any idea what might be causing the screeching?

rich1998

It does sound like a mechanical issue looking at the discussion. Screeching sounds unusual but I guess the OP's definition of what he is hearing.

Rich

rich1998

here is a little on the caps and inductors that most miss in the Bachmann site.
Mark has a lot of good info about DCC you should keep. Bookmark the URL.

https://sites.google.com/site/markgurries/home/technical-discussions/decoder-motor-drive/motor-capacitors/bachmann-engines

One time in a search, I found a couple forums in the UK that said, keep those devices in place, "over there".

Rich