News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The 2019 On30 Generic Wish List

Started by Mister Lee, January 14, 2019, 01:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Lee

I am going to put in a good word for a tank locomotive sized somewhere between the 0-4-0 Porter and the 2-6-0 for those of use likely to build shelf layouts.

In the meantime, I recently bought a  British-prototype Bachmann Branchline tank engine while entertaining evil thoughts about building a new superstructure.

2foot6

There must be a lot of people out there with evil thoughts of modifying locos to get what they want,I'm one of them.I just completed a small On30 diesel shunter from an old Triang 00   0-6-0 steam loco to get what I wanted.It would be nice if Bachmann made a tank loco,I'm sure sales would be high.We can only hope,in the meantime those evil thoughts will continue. ;D ;D..............Peter.

Dbarefoot

Is this a wish list for everyone? I wish for an 8-18d 2-6-0, like in the large scale category. Something for us who model the 19th century :)

Rock On!
~Dusten

Flare

If it is for 'everyone', I vote that the Climax, Shay, and Rail Truck get reruns with improved gears in addition to the 0-4-0 Porters.

Terry Toenges

I missed out on the Climax the first time so I'd like to see see a rerun with the new gears and sound equipped.
Feel like a Mogul.

efehser

Since we're wishing for re-issues, how about the 2-8-0, hopper cars, and side door caboose.

p51

Re-issuing the gas-mechanical would probably be a good idea as they're trading on eBay for a lot of coin in some cases. I don't need or want one, but there's still a market, I think.
What I'd love (and would pay for) would be a USATC S118 Class 2-8-2
-Lee

J. S. Bach

All that I would like to see is a re-release of the two-bay hoppers.
Later Gator,

Dave

"A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money. Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine, something Brussels sprouts never do." ~P.J. O'Rourke

ScottyB

I agree with better geared re-releases. It was the geared engines that got everyone into On30. Since those have been out of production for many years, On30 has plateaued. Re-releasing the geared engines would renew interest in the scale. Newcomers have a tough time finding the "cool" stuff right now!

Personally, I would love to see a Mason Bogie, or larger ton (30ish, let's say) shay, and definitely heisler.

http://www.shaylocomotives.com/data/lima3354/sn-2493.htm
http://www.gearedsteam.com/heisler/images/champion_fibre_co_2-sn1143.jpg
http://ross-crain.com/rr_dsp2a-266T.htm

Put synchronized smoke generators in and watch jaws drop.

I'd also like to see freight car kits ala Tichy or Accurail. Bachmann's freight cars, for the most part, share many similar parts. You can already get the frames and trucks... Release flat car tops, gondola sides or box car tops to make inexpensive, one evening kits. On30 is all about customizing so that would play well into that aspect.

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

BIG BEAR

All I want for Christmas is a 2-6-2 a 2-6-2....
I believe a Prairie would go great with Bachmanns On30 line.
Enjoy,
  Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

aussie geoff

Happy 2019 to all !

I would like very much to see the re release of the Stock Car with an up dated underframe , also agree the 2 Bay Hoppers and Side Door caboose . if it was possible A larger 2 Truck Shay would not go amiss , But looking forward to anything that continues Bachmann ON30

Happy Modelling

Geoff 

Sherwood

Still would be nice to have a SR&RL Prairie2-6-2 to go with the SR&RL Forney and side door caboose.  (And with the other Bachmann cars we have already re-lettered!)

Seems like there are enough mechanical pieces for other engines around that it wouldn't be completely new tooling.

USAF_Andy

I know my first choice won't happen, and a Bachmann rep flat out told me so in Charlotte.  That would be a WP&Y MLW diesel.  I personally think that it would sell well, and could be very versatile, but such is life.

More realistically though, I would love to see them bring out a 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 like they did in large scale.  They already have the drawings for them, just need to figure out the tooling.  Not holding my breath for either case.

p51

Quote from: ScottyB on January 17, 2019, 01:37:24 PMIt was the geared engines that got everyone into On30. Since those have been out of production for many years, On30 has plateaued. Re-releasing the geared engines would renew interest in the scale.
I have wondered that, as well. Has On30 cooled down due to the lack of the stuff we used to find easily (and affordably), now made tough to find at high prices in a secondary market?
I wish I knew the answer...
-Lee

efehser

Quote from: p51 on January 31, 2019, 02:05:57 PM

I have wondered that, as well. Has On30 cooled down due to the lack of the stuff we used to find easily (and affordably), now made tough to find at high prices in a secondary market?
I wish I knew the answer...

2008 hit the hobby markets hard. Judging from the On30 FB groups I am a part of, there is still a lot of interest. In my case, it's the larger size without a significantly larger footprint. What didn't help was the passing of the "Father" of On30 at Bachmann. Without his constant kick the internal support has dwindled. Not gone, but seriously ill. Finally, the fact that inexpensive means China, and with current events...well, it got more expensive even for new.

On30 will never be HO, but it will live on, just as the MRR hobby will. Lots of kits, and "aftermarket".