Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku

Trainman203

The problem with buying 1/1 equipment:

1.  You have to move it somewhere
2.  You have to keep it somewhere
3.  You have to have serious buckola to get it operable.

I'm sticking to HO scale.

ebtnut

Yeah, there aren't many places you can move a 3-foot gauge oil-fired Shay and run it.  IIRC, this loco had once been used at the Georgetown Loop RR.  If so, it has operated in relatively recent memory.  You can probably expect to spend several hundred thousand dollars to get it running, because it will certainly need a full FRA rebuild.  Nice to dream, though.

Trainman203

My railroad buddy and I had a chance to get a FREE 1/1 100 year old Harriman baggage car, with ROLLER BEARING 6 wheel trucks.  We dreamed of putting a layout in it. 

The problems were:

1.  The railroad had an impossible deadline to get it off the property.
2.  We had no property to put it on.
3.   It was on orphaned track and needed a crane/ flatbed/ hauling to get it anywhere, if we'd had anywhere to take it.  SERIOUS denaro needed for the move.

We couldn't do it.  We contacted rail museums all over the country to come get it. It was trackable once it could be put on live rail with the roller bearing trucks and operable air brakes.  No one even bothered to respond.  It got scrapped while we cried.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

Boy I bet that bobber caboose really bobs, certainly a very rough rider.  Is it historic?  Or a repro?