News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

8 Pin Decoder

Started by edsolter, January 16, 2019, 06:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edsolter

Have a DCC ready GP40 #63528 that I received, have also a MRC Tech 6 controller for the track, want advantage am I going to receive by adding a 8 pin decoder for $35.00? And is it worth it if I'm not adding a sound board which is more expense.

Thank you

Flare

In addition to controlling sound, DCC decoders can be programmed to have specific starting voltages, lower top speeds, acceleration rates, and more.

In addition to making the locomotive move more prototypically, you can use it to tweak two locomotives to operate identically to double-head with less strain.

Hunt

Depends on the capability of the MRC Tech 6 with the make and model of the decoder its quality and if you will use the decoder's features.

An aside -  A MRC Tech 6 is a niche product, which in only rare circumstances would I not view it as a waste of money.  If you want the capabilities of DCC the Tech 6 is going to limit you.

Len

Save your $35 if your not adding sound. The Tech 6 is basically a DC power pack with the added capability of controlling sound decoders when the loco address is set to '3'.

The Tech 6 manual that explains this, if you don't have one, can be found here:
https://www.modelrectifier.com/v/vspfiles/resources/dc-ac/Tech%206%202.0%20%200001200.pdf

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

edsolter

Does this DCC Ready Loco have a speaker?

Thanks

Hunt

Quote from: edsolter on January 17, 2019, 01:14:32 PM
Does this DCC Ready Loco have a speaker?

Thanks
No  --  Do not ask same question in multiple posts.