E-Z Track DCC Crossover short

Started by thlipsis29, January 17, 2019, 08:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thlipsis29

I realize I may have posted this in the wrong forum to begin with so I'm copying it to the general discussion. Thanks.

I have three Bachman E-Z Track DCC crossovers on my HO scale layout, two right and one left that connect three concentric loops. The problem I am having is somewhere there must be reverse polarity or current because the at somepoint on one of the crossover frogs (and it varies) a locomotive shorts out. Right now I am running DC mode locomotives but will be wiring them to run on the Bachmann DCC Command Control in the next week. But I am assuming that should not make any difference; the locomotive would short out regardless of whether or not it is DC or DCC because something is reversing the current. I can't figure out how to upload a diagram, but the two right crossovers allow the train to go from the outermost track to the middle track and then the middle track to the innermost track. The left crossover is to allow the train to exit the innermost loop to the middle loop without having to reverse direction. Obviously I am not a wiring expert and I don't know if I need to insulate a rail somewhere or if I need to consider the reverse loop module that Bachmann makes though there is no true reverse loop. And the short locations varies depending as to the position of each crossover. But I am assuming that somehow the left crossover is causing something to go against the two right crossovers. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hunt

By Crossover do you mean you are using Bachmann DCC #6 Single Crossover Turnout, items 44137 and 44137?

Above is an example of a #6 Single Crossover - Left

Short is normal as all #6 Single Crossover Turnouts (DCC and non DCC equipped) are not designed for use in a DC powered layout

BTW the HO Board is the correct place to post your question but do not post it there now. One of the Board Administrators may move this to HO