News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

85301 PRR Streamlined 4-6-2

Started by Luca_DC, January 19, 2019, 03:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luca_DC

I have a PRR streamlined K4 4-6-2, Bachmann number 85301.

It appears that the tender must be partially disassembled in order to secure the yoke that couples the locomotive to the tender. It appears that the tender's upper body must be lifted away from the tender's frame, though I do not have the confidence of certainty.

If you know how to secure the yoke to the tender, please tell me the sequence of disassembly moves needed to accomplish any necessary disassembly without doing any damage.

Thank you.

rich1998

I did see a photo of the Post war K4 tender at the TCS decoder site. They show two screws that are in the center of the tender frame and are recessed. Remove those to remove the shell.
You have the newest sound version.
I did not see a yoke anywhere so that must be something new for this loco. Maybe that is with the loco. They show the loco and tender together but the yoke is not in view.
I see the two pin and four pin connectors.

EDIT. I just found this link. You can just see the yoke near the the lower left.

http://tcsdcc.com/index.php/installation/ho-scale/bachmann-spectrum-k4-4-6-2-steam/wsk-bac-7

The older tenders had two screws under the front of the tender.

Maybe you could post a photo of your model. It might help someone in the future.
Bachmann now sells them with the TCS WOW decoder.

Rich

Luca_DC

Thanks, Rich.

I've put the model away for a now, and no longer have access to it or to the drawings, so at may be a day or two before I can check either for the two screws. I had looked for obvious ways in, but saw none.

Perhaps I should not have described the drawbar as a "yoke." It is the loco-to-tender drawbar, and it is similar to those on earlier Bachmann K4s. Like the earlier ones, it's kinematically more sophisticated that a simple drawbar. It is forked at each end, with two vertical pins at the fork ends, the pins fitting into two curved slots. The forks, pins and slots enable both fairly close coupling and also fairly tight curve capability.

the Bach-man

Dear Luca,
Remove the screw under the front tender truck.
This will allow you to gently pry up the shell to slip the yoke between the body and the shell.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Luca_DC

Got it,
Thank you, Bach-man.

I'll try it later today or tomorrow.

rich1998

Yes, I happened to see the complete yoke in the diagram page in the loco section. It was not easy to figure out at first. I can see the close coupling now. I could not tell how they swivel.
That is quite different from the way Bachmann has coupled some locos and tenders in the past. Never seen the discussion before.
I have some 4-4-0's and 4-6-0's
Maybe you can post a photo on your set in the future looking at the bottom if it is not difficult to do.

Rich