Add Keep-Alive to a 0-4-0 DCC Sound Porter?

Started by Flare, January 20, 2019, 11:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flare

I just ordered one of these gems and I'd like to build a tender with a Keep-Alive capacitor inside when it arrives.

Looking at the decoder board in the e-store, I see two pairs of soldering points that are separate from the eight DCC connections.

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71_677&products_id=10471

Might one of those pairs be compatible with a Keep-Alive to keep both the sound and motor going for a second or two over unpowered turnout frogs or other trouble spots on a layout?

Hunt

An aside ---------

Click Here for things to consider and useful info.

Flare

I read that article, but it's for the 0-4-2 Sound Porter:  The 0-4-0 version appears to use a different board since they have different part numbers in bachmann's store.

Hunt

Fare,
Clarification   My reply that was placed as "an aside" as for what can be done with the keep alive not how to connect it to the On30 0-4-0 Porter PCB .  The keep alive as connected in the article  may only work for sound not the motor.  I have not tried to trace circuits.

My brevity was because I thought you have more knowledge than perhaps you do.  It will save me time looking for my tech notes if you ask SoundTraxx their suggestion for keep alive solder points and any programming issues adding a keep alive may create since the Board not designed to accept a motor keep alive add-on.

efehser

A quick point-the sound decoders for both Porters share the same product photo. 'Nuf said there. Also, in the parts diagrams for both Porters, the wiring is shown the same. and the only difference in the part #s is the loco code. Board number is the same. Soundtraxx could probably clarify for you, but both they and Bmann follow patterns, which with a little research can be easily followed.
Proceed with some caution. The article mentions mis-identified polarity.
Personally, I'd throw in a Loksound micro, but I'm not personally enamored with Soundtraxx right now.

Hunt

Neither of the  ESU LokSound Micro decoders provides Fare the keep alive he wants. Furthermore, ESU Power Pack (their keep alive product) has been discontinued and has yet to be replaced.

Hopefully, SoundTraxx will provide Flare the decoder's illustrated diagram identifying the CurrentKeeper (their keep alive) connection points.   If not, I will have to make time to look for mine.

Flare

Quote from: Hunt on January 22, 2019, 07:48:19 PM
Hopefully, SoundTraxx will provide Flare the decoder's illustrated diagram identifying the CurrentKeeper (their keep alive) connection points.   If not, I will have to make time to look for mine.

I got a response from Soundtraxx today, they sent me this photo showing where to solder the wires to keep both the motor and 'sound module' powered:

Hunt

Before the keep alive is installed program CV 29 to disable DC operation.  This will avoided some anomalies.

Which keep alive product are you installing?

Flare

Quote from: Hunt on January 22, 2019, 11:57:48 PM
Before the keep alive is installed program CV 29 to disable DC operation.  This will avoided some anomalies.

Which keep alive product are you installing?

Thanks, Hunt.

I'm planning to use a TCS KA4, it's small enough to easily fit in the On30 Heisler bunker I'll be using for the tender shell.