G scale Night before christmas set - want whistle

Started by RBB, February 02, 2019, 02:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RBB

I just picked up a new 90037 G scale night before christmas set and want to add a whistle using track magnets. Since I am new at this I don't have any idea where to start. I did the google thing and can't find how to do this. Can anyone help ? thanks. Roger

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Roger,

I don't know a a way to add just the whistle sound.   Most suppliers make add on sound boards that do the whistle sounds and a higher level chuff sound with air compressor sounds, blowdown sounds and many others.  The price range runs from about $100 up to $250 depending on the level of sophistication you want.

I would suggest you get an issue of Garden railways Magazine and check out the ads.  You could go to www.mylargescale.com or www.largescalecentral.com and check out the power and sound sections and ask this question on those sites. They have many expert folks who really know sound.

Hope this helps.

Loco Bill

Sorry I screwed up and repeated the my large scale when I meant to add largescale central so corrected above  Thanks to Homo Hablis for the correction,  Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

RBB

Thank you ... appreciate your thoughts and help. I will check out the website.

Homo Habilis

I'd also suggest that you check out the forums at Large Scale Central.  It is a much more active site and many of the members that used to be on My Large Scale have migrated there.

edited:  now redundant that Bill corrected his post.

Waikiki968

Hi,

A MyLocoSound (mylocosound.com) card (about $80) can be installed into your tender.  This card has an input for a reed switch like the Piko 35267 (I got mine from onlytrains.com for around $16 plus shipping) that you can glue onto the bottom of the tender making sure that it is low enough to sense the track magnet but not so low that it interferes with travel.  I found that getting some cheap round magnets from Home Depot worked for the track magnet (you can move them around pretty easily) but you can also get "real" track magnets like Piko 35268. 

The MyLocoSound card has its own chuff and can use the chuff sensor from the 4-6-0 locomotive if you want.  The existing speaker can be used.  The card also has other sounds like Bill said (air compressor, blowdown, an "All Aboard" voice) and can be controlled remotely from a Sony TV remote. 

It's not Soundtraxx quality, but it works and they have pretty good installation instructions and really good customer support. 

Keith