News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

decapod

Started by bob kaplan, January 26, 2019, 09:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

Does anyone have an idea of if or when Bachmann might release a decapod with dcc and sound?   Thanks for the help.

Trainman203

I've been waiting a very long time.  Don't hold your breath.  The decapod needs some re-engineering before coming out again.  Hopefully if and when it happens it won't have molded on details.😡🤬

There are plenty on the secondary market though, check the online auctions.  Most are DC only though.  I've gotten 4 like that and all seem to run fine if you buy with care.  One of those I've put a Tsunami2-2 in , and it operates beyond spectacular with specialized CV settings.

ACY

Quote from: bob kaplan on January 26, 2019, 09:00:32 AM
Does anyone have an idea of if or when Bachmann might release a decapod with dcc and sound?   Thanks for the help.
They already did release one, I bought one almost 15 years ago if I recall correctly. It had a full Tsunami sound decoder, sound value didn't exist until recently.

Trainman203

I had a couple of those.  I think he's asking about a future release.  There are some issues need correction if and when it come back.

Trainman203

Oh... the previous sound equipped decapod decoders were not full Tsunami decoders, but rather a Soundtraxx decoder developed in conjunction with Bachmann.  Not as fully featured as a Tsunami, they were still considerably more developed than sound Value, with more sounds like dynamo and coupler crash, a 7 band EQ, cv 113 silence mode, and other stuff I can't remember right now.

ACY

Quote from: Trainman203 on January 28, 2019, 12:40:04 PM
Oh... the previous sound equipped decapod decoders were not full Tsunami decoders, but rather a Soundtraxx decoder developed in conjunction with Bachmann.
You are either thinking of a more recent sound equipped decapod or you are mistaken because the very first Bachmann HO scale locomotives released with sound actually had full Tsunami decoders, sometime thereafter they developed special decoders for Bachmann to use. The only locomotives I recall being produced with a full sound decoder off-hand are the 2-8-0, 2-10-0 and possibly the 2-6-6-2 with USRA tender not the later model with the Vandy tender.

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on January 28, 2019, 10:08:12 AM
I've been waiting a very long time.  Don't hold your breath.  The decapod needs some re-engineering before coming out again.  Hopefully if and when it happens it won't have molded on details.😡🤬

There are plenty on the secondary market though, check the online auctions.  Most are DC only though.  I've gotten 4 like that and all seem to run fine if you buy with care.  One of those I've put a Tsunami2-2 in , and it operates beyond spectacular with specialized CV settings.

I have three Spectrum 2-10-0s.  All are out of service due to various issues.

Trainman203

What are the issues, Roger?  Maybe I can help.  Mine are all ticking like clocks.

bob kaplan

Hey all.....just want to thank you for taking the time to give me your insights.

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on January 31, 2019, 11:50:01 AM
What are the issues, Roger?  Maybe I can help.  Mine are all ticking like clocks.

No. 1)   The gears no longer engage.  The engine can free wheel.  I believe this was an early production run issue where the cast metal smokebox saddle was a shade too high.  I believe the fix is to disassemble the loco, not an easy task with the 2-10-0, and lightly file the smokebox saddle down, taking care not to get metal flakes int to rest of the chassis.

No. 2)  I believe (hope) this is a detached wire to the motor.  Again, required the loco to be disassembled.

No. 3)   This is in a box as it's not required on the layout as yet.  Can't recall what's wrong with it.

On the old DC layout, back in 2010, they all ran fine.  The issues only stared after I moved and built the new, DCC, layout.  Though of course, these issues have nothing to do with DCC.

I have had issues with my two 2-6-0s.  The crank pin got lost on one of them and the other the DCC decoder gave up the ghost.  From the two I have made one that works.  I've contacted Bachmann and asked them if I could just send back the chassis for both loco and tender and keep the bodies as they have custom decals, weathering and details add.  They kindly said that was acceptable.   

Trainman203

Roger it looks like the same hoo-doo that hexes the New Orleans Saints has laid a zodiac bad vibe on the Great Eastern.  I had some bad luck with 3 DCC decapods and ruined them trying to remotor them, milling the frame to take the new motor.  This turned out to be unnecessary since the motor control CVs were the real problem.  I've since bought 5 more, 2 DCC/Sound from the LHS and 3 DC only from eBay.  I shopped carefully and got 3 NIB undec all well under $100 each.  And they all run like clocks, crawl like ants.  My suggestion, if you really want decapods, is to try the eBay route and keep the crippled ones for parts .  You'll get extra tenders too, to put behind a 2-8-0 and change its countenance completely.

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on February 04, 2019, 08:03:12 AM
Roger it looks like the same hoo-doo that hexes the New Orleans Saints has laid a zodiac bad vibe on the Great Eastern.  I had some bad luck with 3 DCC decapods and ruined them trying to remotor them, milling the frame to take the new motor.  This turned out to be unnecessary since the motor control CVs were the real problem.  I've since bought 5 more, 2 DCC/Sound from the LHS and 3 DC only from eBay.  I shopped carefully and got 3 NIB undec all well under $100 each.  And they all run like clocks, crawl like ants.  My suggestion, if you really want decapods, is to try the eBay route and keep the crippled ones for parts .  You'll get extra tenders too, to put behind a 2-8-0 and change its countenance completely.

Good ideas.

Thanks

oldline2

Quote from: Trainman203 on January 28, 2019, 10:08:12 AM
I've been waiting a very long time.  Don't hold your breath.  The decapod needs some re-engineering before coming out again. 

TRAINMAN203,

For those of us without a clue would you describe the re-engineering required?

oldline2

Trainman203

The cylinders are slightly too close together center to center.  This causes the crossheads to snag on the no. 1 driver side rod screw if the guides are bent the least molecule inward .  All of mine needed out bending.  It took awhile to find the issue.

The motor is a bit on the weak side.  Combined with out of kilter stock cv settings for motor performance, pulling power is terrible.  Once the settings are corrected things get much better.   These settings should have been right to begin with from the factory. It wouldn't be that hard to do but they didn't.   It took a working knowledge of DCC to get them right, something that took me a while to get.

These issues I bet caused many beautiful decapods to unnecessarily end up in the TC.

oldline2

I see your points but I don't see resetting CVs as a major re-design of the engines. Almost every DCC equipped engine I read reviews of in MR and elsewhere have the reviewer reset many CVs. Just seems to be more of a preference than a design fault. Once the crossheads and guides are properly positioned do they return to the point where they contact again?

The crosshead problem I haven't observed. I bought 4 of them when they were fairly fresh on the market (1997?) and they all ran, and still run, well. Unfortunately or fortunately, whichever way you want to look at it, my layout was all level track but my Ruskies could pull 20 cars around the layout. I don't think that's poor performance.

oldline2