News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

G Scale Polar Express

Started by cucate, January 29, 2019, 07:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cucate

Wondering if you would provide the Testors (or other) paint color name & number for your Gscale Polar Express passenger cars

InsideTrack

Bachmann Trains does not offer G Scale Polar Express passenger cars.

Joe Zullo

Maybe that is a Lionel set.  ;D
https://youtu.be/AcBKrRn_P0I

Plow_Bender

Actually I believe he may be referring to The Polar Express Big Haulers set as seen here.

Kind of surprised someone from Bachmann wouldn't even know about this.  Then again, according to my records the set is from 1985, and I'm not sure how long it stuck around.  I bet the user Loco Bill could probably shed some light on this topic.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

the Bach-man

Dear All,
We had the Polar Express license early on, before the movie came out.
I had several discussions with Chris Van Allsburg about the colors
and other details of our narrow gauge version. In looking at the book illustrations
I based my colors on Lackawanna smooth sides, sort of a bluish-gray and maroon, but he insisted
(and as the author and illustrator he should know) that the cars were green and maroon.
Sure enough, if you look at the scene in the movie where conductor Tom Hanks is standing in the vestibule,
the walls are clearly green. The original prototype I painted is still on display in the library of the elementary
school at which I taught. The librarian recently called me to ask why one side was blue and the other green!
I'll try to get over to school in the next day or so to take a picture.
As to colors, I'll see if I can tell by looking at the models, as I don't recall which specific colors I used.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi All,

I can't add much and Rusty's Picture is a good one of the set.  I do not know how many of these sets were made, but the set does show up on Ebay from time to time. 

90036*   NA   The Polar Express   2000   2002   Pass    1001   Ver 5   Coach PE #1985   Observation  PE#2000                                                                                                                                                                  
90036   Notes:   In Catalog 2000 to 2002, Letterboards are lettered The Polar Express issued in conjunction with the book of the same name.                                                                                    
As the Bach-man says,the set came out before the movie.  The set was popular and sold out over the next c ouple of years.   When the movie came out the set was really a hot item on Ebay.   Back in those days I was keeping some notes on what sets were selling for on Ebay.   The original MSRP for the set was $140.   When the movie came out the ebay price wars on this set were unbelievable.   Several sets went for over $1000, and others in the $8 hundred and $900 range.  It was a great time to be a seller!    This past year I only saw one set on ebay (wasn't really looking so maybe others) which sold for $210.

That is about the extent of my knowledge on this set.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Plow_Bender

In the catalog from 2000 to 2002?  Boy my numbers were off quite a bit, but funny enough that's what someone had it listed as.  So much for "they can't post anything on the internet that isn't true" eh? ::)

In all seriousness though, the set does have a bit of charm to it considering it is from one of the classic and iconic Christmas stories, and I can definitely see why it would have been such a popular seller after the movies release.  However it would be nice to see a large scale manufacture today bring a proper G Scale Polar Express set to market, but with the uprising cost of production and G Scale being a niche of a niche market, it's probably something I can only dream about.  I do like the Lionel Polar Express I have, but it still leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyways thanks for your informative post, Bill.  Quite enjoyed reading it.  :)

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."