News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Please Bring Back Arry & Bert

Started by RailsByRick, December 16, 2023, 09:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailsByRick

I've been searching for a Bachmann Arry and Bert for awhile now without any luck. Recently, there's a Bachmann Bert listed on Mercari for $500. Again, that is ONLY Bert, not Arry and Bert. The scarcity of these models has shot through the roof making it nearly impossible for newer collectors to own them. Bachmann, please reconsider bringing these two models into the line. These would be the perfect reintroductions while newly tooled projects are being worked on. I'm sure many fans would be extremely grateful.

Armada Starscream

Something else that Bachmann could do with the 'Arry and Bert tooling would be to make Splatter and Dodge out of them.

https://ttte.fandom.com/wiki/Splatter_and_Dodge

Splatter and Dodge share the same mold as 'Arry and Bert, and have always been seen having the same faces as each other. Therefore, all that would be needed would be recolor the 'Arry and Bert shell and then design one face for both of them to use. They would be easy to make new characters, and they could also be be introduced while the newly tooled projects are being worked on.

TrainFan97

Bachmann needs to bring back 'Arry and Bert. Possibly with new and improved faces because the faces being almost identical is what severely hindered their sales and got them discontinued. Maybe give them grumpy faces. Maybe even give them N Scale models too, though Henry is the #1 priority for N Scale at this time.

As for Splatter and Dodge, the only thing holding them back is the fact that they were one-off characters from a 20+ year old movie. Bachmann still makes old model series rolling stock, but for some reason, Mattel won't let them do the same with engines, even if they're repaints. Another engine recolor with the same dilemma is Smudger. With all the customs of Splatter and Dodge modellers made, it's clear that there is a market for them in HO Scale, and that people do want them.

One CGI character Bachmann has yet to make in any scale that would recycle Diesel's tooling is Sidney, which people have asked for years, but he still hasn't been on the cards.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

JLK2707

Yeah, it does seem like just a pretty strange idea. But it could be that maybe, just maybe, Mattel does not enjoy model series only engines, as they may have given them a chance or something and it did not feel right with them. However, this is just a theory.

Chaz

I remember at the time when 'Arry and Bert were announced and even after they were released, not too many people were excited for those two.  They were not popular sellers, despite being inevitable additions after Diesel's release a few years prior.  It was inevitable that they were going to be discontinued since not only were they not popular characters in the show, but also because both models shared the exact same face with the only difference being Bert having slightly more stubble than 'Arry.  I don't blame Bachmann for cutting them off, I'm surprised if it didn't happen sooner if I'm being honest.

That being said, like most things that get discontinued over time, the Bachmann 'Arry and Bert models have really gone up in value as mentioned earlier.  I think 'Arry and Bert being released is a great idea in theory, but in order for these two to warrant their return they need to have new faces to help differentiate the twins and not keep it so subtle like they did with their previous release.  Otherwise after the first year or so, history is only going to repeat itself and they will end up getting dropped again, unless if Bachmann wants to have these as a potential limited release similar to Beau (which I wouldn't be opposed to either).

It's a good idea for next year for sure though since not a lot of previously announced products have been released between the summer NMRA announcements and now (the two HO vent vans and N scale Toad).  Although release dates are always subject to change, it's been stated that Beau and Salty are expected to be released sometime earlier next year.  Since those are both repaints, I think really solid follow-up announcements for both of them next summer at the NMRA would be a reintroduction to 'Arry and Bert since they would be easy enough for Bachmann to pull off while still working on the several projects Bachmann needs to catch up on.  Seeing their reintroduction in the summer 2024 announcements alongside N scale Henry (once Gordon is released early next year too) would make for a pretty fun lineup of new engine announcements if you ask me. 
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

RailsByRick

A limited release for Arry and Bert would be ideal just to get these models back into circulation. An idea I've had was possibly making them TrainWorld.com exclusives- seeing as Bachmann and TrainWorld seem to have a strong relationship. The Thomas Tuesday streams would be a great way to advertise them, and keep fans in the loop on model updates. A great way to build hype.

Also, updating the faces would give modelers who already own the original Arry and Bert models a reason to go ahead and buy the rerelease.

RailsByRick

Just saw that a Bachmann Arry was just listed on eBay for $300...

Bachmann, please reconsider bringing Arry and Bert back into the line so the newer collectors have a chance of owning these characters. It would be greatly appreciated.

Awesometrain77

Arry and Bert as an exclusive is a good idea . Arry and Bert I think if brought back will sell better then then they originally  did . Arry and Bert appear throughout many seasons of the show and I think they would sell well now . Maybe give Arry a different face to tell them apart or maybe Bert . That way you have a reason to buy them again . However due to salty being delayed idk if it can happen anytime soon .

TrainFan97

Once they start making good progress on N Scale Diesel, maybe they'll bring back 'Arry and Bert, but in N Scale, and see how well they sell before bringing them back in HO Scale. Bachmann should definitely consider making Sidney, 'Arry and Bert for N Scale once they make good progress on Diesel's tooling.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.