News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

B&O "Running Mate" to go with the EM-1?

Started by Sand Patch, January 30, 2019, 07:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sand Patch

Just a suggestion to Bachmann, as they done such a FINE job on te EM-1 in B&O that I have to post because I once lived very close to "Sand Patch" just north of Cumberland, MD!

I'd LOVE to see any of the following as a running mate to go with the EM-1:

B&O T-3t, 4-8-2, with B&O Vanderbuilt tender. -Only done in BRA$$!
B&O S, or S-1, 2-10-2, (Last one was from Rivarossi, and has not been done since!) -OR BRA$$!
B&O KK-1, 2-6-6-2. (Only available in BRA$$)
B&O KB-1 or KB-2, 2-6-6-4. (Again, only available in BRA$$)

And last but not least....

B&O EL-3a OR EL-5a, 2-8-8-0, (And like the others, only available in BRA$$)

It be so cool to see MORE B&O steamers, that are currently either so old you can't run them withthe EM-1, OR so rare they cost half a years salary! Where-as Bachmann has produced a EM-1 and is touchable price-wise.... -Affordable!

THANKS Bachmann! LOVE the attention to detail on the EM-1! Now we B&O'ers need some more to go with it, preferably something BIG!

Trainman203

I'd myself love to see a Missouri Pacific spot class 2-8-0 or an 1000 class 2-8-0, or the odd 4-8-0 MP had, no more odd than the peculiar mogul they chose to offer. Or even just bring back the Spectrum Decapod.

It would be really cool to see MP steamers at all.  Many bordered on the generic, easy to detail for other roads.

But I'm not holding my breath.

J3a-614

Sand Patch had all good choices for other B&O prototypes, though most would require all new tooling, including mechanisms (except for the T-3, which could use an existing 4-8-2 mechanism).

There are a couple of other choices that are already in the line--the USRA light 4-6-2 and light 2-8-2, which, depending on the model chosen, are already spot on for a P-5 and a Q-3.

Two others I would suggest that could take advantage of existing mechanisms would be the Q-4 2-8-2 (USRA 2-8-2 mechanism with long frame Baker valve gear, Vanderbilt tender, and appropriate detailing), and the P-7 4-6-2 (PRR K4s mechanism, already correct including the lacy Walschaerts valve gear, with a new superstructure, possibly a USRA tender).

Sand Patch

J3-a-614,
You know I totally FORGOT the Q-4b! That would be a good one as well! WITH the Baker Valve gear!!!! And correct Vanderbuilt tender!!!!

I'd LOVE to see the 4-8-2 T-3t.... ALSO with the correct Vanderbuilt tender!

The USRA steamers, both the Q-3, 2-8-2 as well as the 4-6-2 P-7's (Specially the P-5) wouldn't be bad, but there ARE other companies that do the USRA stuff all to much! Which would be easily modified to B&O engines! I'd like to see more of some specialized engines that aren't often done in B&O.....

Speaking of odd ones, how about a Cumberland, MD yard switcher 0-10-0? U-1?

Any of them that I've mentioned I bet would be a hit for the B&O modelers!

Trainman203,
I can't comment on the MP loco's as I'm am not that familiar on them.....

I hope the powers that be read this from Bachmann..... It sure would be nice to see something more in B&O from Spectrum!

Trainman203

How about MP at all?  The light mountain and the 2-8-0 were issued in MP years ago.  The mountain was only prototypical as-built and the 2-8-0 only very vaguely similar but they were very nice to have.

The current 2-8-2 is pretty close to an MP 1300.  That wouldn't be hard to do at all.

You haven't modeled until you choose a not very well known road.

Len

I wish someone would 'tweak' the truck spacing on a GG-1 mechanism and do an affordable version of it's "Daddy", the New Haven EP-3.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

I have a question for all the guys who like the juice jacks.  How many of you model the catenary?  How may of you have actual operating catenary as a power source?

Sand Patch

OK guys, I'm sorry but I WANTED to keep this somewhat "On Track" YES pun INTENDED! I'm trying to get through to Bachmann!

These other locomotives you all want to see made, you might want to start a topic on it just as I did!

Sorry..... BUT please keep it on topic!

I also did not intend this to be a flamed topic, so please, none of the negativity! The hobby is to BE FUN......

Len

Quote from: Trainman203 on January 31, 2019, 03:25:50 PM
I have a question for all the guys who like the juice jacks.  How many of you model the catenary?  How may of you have actual operating catenary as a power source?

Raises hand. Trolley is 'dummy' overhead, but mainline is live when the layout's set up. Hoping to get a bigger place this summer that will let me get it out of the boxes.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

nfmisso

All the calls for a specific model are well and good.

But you need to show a business case for the return on investment.  It takes $100K+ for the research if there is an existing example to measure, and far more if there is not - identifying where one exists in a museum is helpfully, $100K to $250K for the tooling, $50K to $100K for parts and assembly, $5K to $10K per container shipping cost to the warehouse, etc, etc.  Easily a half million dollars tied up before the first sale.

If you can demonstrate to Bachmann or one of the other companies in the business that they will make a profit on the deal, and you are willing to put up some form of insurance, things can get done.  Working the with the appropriate historical society is also beneficial.