News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Couplers

Started by Chip Westfall, January 30, 2019, 03:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chip Westfall

I purchased my Grandson an HO set.

I need to replace the E-Z mate coupler 78005.  When I search the internet to make a purchase that particular numbered coupler does not appear.   Other models do.

Is there a replacement number for that coupler?

Thks.

Flare

That model is even sold out on Bachmann's own store page.

Looks like you need a medium length, center-shank coupler.  You can try using a Kadee HO 'Standard head' Whisker coupler, some of my cars have those and work well with my Bachmann E-Z Mates.

Edit:  I just realized that model is for the original E-Z Mate line, they've been replaced with the E-Z Mate Mark II.

Look up Bachmann part number 78025, that appears to be in stock at several sites.

Hunt

78005 is old style magnetically operated knuckle coupler with plastic closer replaced by Model/Item 78025 E-Z Mate  Mark II Center Shank – Medium magnetically operated knuckle coupler with metal coil springs

Caveat -- Bachmann online store shows Model 78025 as being 12 pair per card at $30.00 while other on line retailers list Item 78025 as 1 pair per card $2.00 or less.

Bachmann online store uses label "Model" else where label "Item" is used.

bbmiroku

The cards are perforated in blister packs of a pair, I believe.

Trainman203

In general, Metal knuckle couplers are better than plastic.  And on plastic knuckle couplers, it's best to keep the knuckle closed with a metal coil spring.  Cheaper couplers have a little springy plastic finger instead.  Cheaper to produce but quick to wear out, leading to operational failures.